Another, what size question. 14 Acres in hilly western PA.

jcbGM

Silver Member
Primarily used for brushhogging around the perimeter of hayfields, and knocking down the weeds in a couple of horse pastures. Our driveway is probably 1/3 of a mile. We'd use it for light driveway maintenance (pulling a drag, moving a bucket or two of gravel). I get started looking at 25 hp tractors and within half an hour I'm looking at 50 hp machines with 2 remotes and a aux for the loader as well. It's easy to get carried away. I really just need enough machine to do the brush hogging. The loader should be able to lift at least 1,000 lbs. Snow removal is handled by an RTV with a plow.

I have nearly unlimited access to Case and Takeuchi excavating equipment, so I won't be doing any heavy digging or lifting.

I really like Kioti. Don't know if a CK2610 is enough machine and if I should jump up to a CK3510. Then there's the new DKse series, maybe an NX, ohhh a cab! There I go again. Realistically, it would get maybe 50-65 hours of use a year in the summer and fall. It would sit all winter and spring.

jbrumberg

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA, John Deere D130
~30HP and "4WD" should work for you. I have +13 acres of hilly NE property; rotary cut ~6 acres of it and manage a fair amount of snow most Winters. My 29HP works fro me and drives all my attachments easily. I am sure you will received other perspectives. If it works; it works. Good luck.

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Primarily used for brushhogging around the perimeter of hayfields, and knocking down the weeds in a couple of horse pastures. Our driveway is probably 1/3 of a mile. We'd use it for light driveway maintenance (pulling a drag, moving a bucket or two of gravel). I get started looking at 25 hp tractors and within half an hour I'm looking at 50 hp machines with 2 remotes and a aux for the loader as well. It's easy to get carried away. I really just need enough machine to do the brush hogging. The loader should be able to lift at least 1,000 lbs. Snow removal is handled by an RTV with a plow.

I have nearly unlimited access to Case and Takeuchi excavating equipment, so I won't be doing any heavy digging or lifting.

I really like Kioti. Don't know if a CK2610 is enough machine and if I should jump up to a CK3510. Then there's the new DKse series, maybe an NX, ohhh a cab! There I go again. Realistically, it would get maybe 50-65 hours of use a year in the summer and fall. It would sit all winter and spring.

Have you looked into the RK tractors (www.rktractors.com)? I like my RK24. Sounds like it might be close to what you're looking for. Not pushing RK over any other brand. Just bringing it to your attention as another contender.

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
Depending on your budget a Kubota Grand L3560 would be a good option. Would allow you to widen the rear wheel track for your hills and is heavy enough to provide stability. Optioned out with rear remotes and third function would be a sweet setup.

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor; 5,400 pounds operating weight ~~~~~~~~ 37 horsepower
Primarily used for brushhogging around the perimeter of hayfields, and knocking down the weeds in a couple of horse pastures. Our driveway is probably 1/3 of a mile. We'd use it for light driveway maintenance (pulling a drag, moving a bucket or two of gravel). I get started looking at 25 hp tractors and within half an hour I'm looking at 50 hp machines with 2 remotes and a aux for the loader as well. It's easy to get carried away. I really just need enough machine to do the brush hogging.

The loader should be able to lift at least 1,000 lbs. Snow removal is handled by an RTV with a plow.

I hate mowing pasture with a Rotary Cutter. You may enjoy it.

Here is a mowing calculator. Let us know how long you are willing to mow = width of Rotary Cutter, and we will tell you how much horsepower is necessary. Smoothness of pasture and length of grass determines tractor speed, realistically 3-mph to 5-mph.

Almost everyone finds many more applications for the tractor after it arrives, then they contemplated prior to arrival. Have you considered the benefits of aerating your fields periodically?

MOWING CALCULATOR: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

OP
J

jcbGM

Silver Member
Have you looked into the RK tractors (www.rktractors.com)? I like my RK24. Sounds like it might be close to what you're looking for. Not pushing RK over any other brand. Just bringing it to your attention as another contender.

Did you get your machine in Uniontown or Butler? I looked at RK37s in Uniontown when I was down there for work. The Rk24 is too small for a 5' or 6' rotary cutter. I live just 3 miles from the Kubota dealer in Apollo, but can't bring myself to pay those prices for a stripped down unit that I'm going to use very little. Grand L is nice, but far too much money.

TripleR

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford
You really need to take into account one of the few truisms of tractors; they shrink withing a short time after arrival; lot like garages, shops.

Several years ago, I got tired of driving or hauling tractors between farms and decided a 35HP was just the ticked to leave in my barn; this is what I got.

Attachments

• DSCN0865E.jpg
    DSCN0865E.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Did you get your machine in Uniontown or Butler? I looked at RK37s in Uniontown when I was down there for work. The Rk24 is too small for a 5' or 6' rotary cutter. I live just 3 miles from the Kubota dealer in Apollo, but can't bring myself to pay those prices for a stripped down unit that I'm going to use very little. Grand L is nice, but far too much money.
Butler

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Kubota L2501, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
Primarily used for brushhogging around the perimeter of hayfields, and knocking down the weeds in a couple of horse pastures...... The loader should be able to lift at least 1,000 lbs.

.....I really like Kioti. Don't know if a CK2610 is enough machine and if I should jump up to a CK3510. Then there's the new DKse series, maybe an NX, ohhh a cab! There I go again. Realistically, it would get maybe 50-65 hours of use a year in the summer and fall. It would sit all winter and spring.

I would do the CK2610 in a heartbeat because it'll do everything you want, Kioti makes great tractors, and you like Kioti. Plus 26 hp tractor slips under the more complicated emission systems.

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
Mike on Outdoors with the Morgan’s is in Western PA and really likes his RK37. Strong loader with a very dependable Japanese Yanmar diesel.