Answer me this...

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Does mayo belong on a italian hoagie?

I'm just not certain if I've been in NC too long, but I NEVER put mayo on a italian sub.

My wife went out for fast food while I was sanding some trim, and I texted her no mayo just to make certain.

What comes on the hoagie? Fricken mayo.

I get people can whatever they want on a sandwhich, but on a spicey italian hoagie, is mayo normal around the country?

I mean provolone cheese with oil an vinegar, pepper yes, but mayo?

Heck, I call my wife a communist for putting mayo on her hamburgers LOL

Engineer42

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST/Cab
Lol. Having the same problem up here. Haven’t found a good Italian sub in 10 years. Boiled ham, American cheese seems to be the norm now. It’s a lost art I guess. Tried a new place last year and they came with Mayo. Specified vinegar and oil.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
Mayo is a BIG faux pas on a Italian hoagie.
I like a little mayo on a turkey hoagie or Sammy

Last edited:

/pine

Super Star Member
Subway's BMT used to be a pretty decent Italian type sandwich but Subway ain't what they used to be and I've heard much of their meat is turkey based...?

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
Sandwiches are always better when you make them yourself.
I don't eat them anymore because of the carbs, but I still can build them. Mayo has its uses, but not Italian.

MadMartin

Tractor
Kioti DK4710SE
I am of the firm belief that mayonnaise does not belong on anything.

In fact I have shirt that says "f**k off with yiur mayonnaise."

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
OK, well I like mayo on many things. BUT if we are going down pet peeve mode, well here is mine, PICKLES DO NOT BELONG ON HAMBURGERS. Period. And when you say "no pickles, no onions please" at ANY drive thru, what do you get? Pickles for sure. A standard hamburger at any fast food joint in America puts pickles on hamburgers.

It is just the way it is. And there isn't a "durn" thing you can do about it but pick the stinking things off yourself getting ketchup and mustard on your fingers. AND beside that the stink and taste of the pickle juice will still be on your hamburger. Yes Sir you can have your fricken hamburger any way you want it as long as it has pickles on it.

Yes I know I am the ONE person in the USA that does NOT like pickles. And that makes me very special.

Now, sure am glad I got that off my chest.

Sign me "no fricken" pickles in Branson. :)

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
OK, well I like mayo on many things. BUT if we are going down pet peeve mode, well here is mine, PICKLES DO NOT BELONG ON HAMBURGERS. Period. And when you say "no pickles, no onions please" at ANY drive thru, what do you get? Pickles for sure. A standard hamburger at any fast food joint in America puts pickles on hamburgers.

It is just the way it is. And there isn't a "durn" thing you can do about it but pick the stinking things off yourself getting ketchup and mustard on your fingers. AND beside that the stink and taste of the pickle juice will still be on your hamburger. Yes Sir you can have your fricken hamburger any way you want it as long as it has pickles on it.

Yes I know I am the ONE person in the USA that does NOT like pickles. And that makes me very special.

Pickles are absolutely disgusting IMO. I fed my dog a half of a chicken sandwich the other day because I couldn’t stomach it even after I picked off the pickles. Usually I’m alright with them picked off but the small was gagging me. I might never understand the appeal to a pickle. The taste sucks, the smell sucks, the texture sucks. I don’t know why everyone wants to drown a burger or sandwich in whatever topping of your choosing either. Rather or not you actually like said sauce is irrelevant. It doesn’t take 6 ounces of sauce for one burger.

Last edited:

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
No. If you put mayo on it, then it's just a better sandwich. :ROFLMAO:

Try this:

5E078DB1-58AF-455B-B1FD-8B3D8ADBD7B3.jpeg

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Lol. Having the same problem up here. Haven’t found a good Italian sub in 10 years. Boiled ham, American cheese seems to be the norm now. It’s a lost art I guess. Tried a new place last year and they came with Mayo. Specified vinegar and oil.
Boiled ham, all cut thinly, along with Capicola, Genoa, slicing peperoni and prosciutto. Provolone cheese as mentioned. Personally like more oil with just a touch of vinegar. My only abnormality (IMO 🤣) is I don't care for uncooked onions and prefer a sprinkle of jalapeño peppers just for a little kick.

Thing is, you would think you could find a decent italian hoagie at a italian restaurant (where I grew up with them up north), but for the most part, not the case around my local area.

Honestly, and it's kind of sad, the best I've found around here is from Jersey Mikes. They don't however yell "F U" when you walk in the door🤣

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
I hear you. Ultimately, if you are paying someone for a sandwich it should have what you want and only what you want. Who am to judge someone for not liking pickles? For me, it is bell peppers. If I have a Cheese steak, it has to be Texas style with jalapenos instead of bell peppers (preferably fresh, grilled jalapenos). Bell peppers just don't like me for some reason. To a Philly traditionalist, I would probably go to sandwich Hades for that.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks

I'm just not certain if I've been in NC too long, but I NEVER put mayo on a italian sub.

My wife went out for fast food while I was sanding some trim, and I texted her no mayo just to make certain.

What comes on the hoagie? Fricken mayo.

I get people can whatever they want on a sandwhich, but on a spicey italian hoagie, is mayo normal around the country?

I mean provolone cheese with oil an vinegar, pepper yes, but mayo?

Heck, I call my wife a communist for putting mayo on her hamburgers LOL
i owned a couple sub sandwich stores.....long time ago, lots of work, not much $, in my case.

not only is mayo the most popular condiment........imho....it's also nasty!

no mayo on anything and no ketchup (catsup) on hotdogs.

is there a difference between ketchup and catsup?

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I hear you. Ultimately, if you are paying someone for a sandwich it should have what you want and only what you want. Who am to judge someone for not liking pickles? For me, it is bell peppers. If I have a Cheese steak, it has to be Texas style with jalapenos instead of bell peppers (preferably fresh, grilled jalapenos). Bell peppers just don't like me for some reason. To a Philly traditionalist, I would probably go to sandwich Hades for that.
That's just it though, you take a basic sandwhich with it's staple ingredients and from there the customer can fine tune it.

Personally don't care for bell peppers myself.

The one that really screws myself up when ordering is corned beef on rye, swiss cheese only (toasted of course).

For some reason, poeple don't understand all a Rueben (SP?) is corned beef, swiss cheese, russian dressing and sauerkraut. I ask for corned beef on rye with swiss cheese toasted, and they look at me like I'm from outter space. I say "Rueben, hold the dressing and Kraut" and they understand that.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
i owned a couple sub sandwich stores.....long time ago, lots of work, not much $, in my case.
One of my many jobs in my youth was making sandwiches at Wawa.

I know it was work on my end 😁

I always loved the people who would rather me wear a pair of cheap plastic "see through" gloves over washing my hands after every sandwhich made. Even to this day, close to 30 or so years later, people in food prep think that wearing one pair of gloves during the whole day, it's good! Love it when people with gloves handle money with the gloves on, then use the same gloves to handle food.

Sorry, still remember one guy who demanded I wear gloves over washing my hands. I explained that my hands were just washed (he saw me wash them) but still wanted the gloves. If I remember right, it was kind of hard to get those plastic gloves if your hands weren't completely dry.

To this day, I always tell my kids never piss anyone off making your food before they make it.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
One of my many jobs in my youth was making sandwiches at Wawa.

I know it was work on my end 😁

I always loved the people who would rather me wear a pair of cheap plastic "see through" gloves over washing my hands after every sandwhich made. Even to this day, close to 30 or so years later, people in food prep think that wearing one pair of gloves during the whole day, it's good! Love it when people with gloves handle money with the gloves on, then use the same gloves to handle food.

Sorry, still remember one guy who demanded I wear gloves over washing my hands. I explained that my hands were just washed (he saw me wash them) but still wanted the gloves. If I remember right, it was kind of hard to get those plastic gloves if your hands weren't completely dry.

To this day, I always tell my kids never piss anyone off making your food before they make it.
and never send your food back....remember that scene in Fight Club, the boys using the soup for a urinal?

nbking

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST. RTV-X 900.
I like mayo on sandwiches, no miracle whip. I miss the good hoagies and grinders from back home. There should NOT be mayo on an Italian sandwich

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
and never send your food back....remember that scene in Fight Club, the boys using the soup for a urinal?
My wife and I have been married for 18 years now. I consider her a borderline gourmet chef (amazing in that she has a "professional" job at the same company for over 25 years now).

To this day, when we go out to eat, and if I make a complaint about my own food when it's served about what I asked for vs what I recieved, I just deal with it and never send it back for any reason 🤣 (and my wife just tells me to send it back LOL).

I can honestly say in my past I have never ever done anything "bad" to someones meal when I was the putz making minumum wage preparing the food (good rule in life is to treat all customers like they are your own parents which I still need to remind myself of to this day), BUT I have seen first hand what others can do.

I think if I owned a restaurant, not sure of the legalities, but if I had someone making meals, I'd make them sign a waiver that if they ever did anything intentionally "bad" due to the circumstances and the customer found out, they (the employee) would be held liable on their own.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Have it YOUR way!
It would be great if life were burger king😁

The customer isn't always right, the customer is only a customer who's requirements may make it such that at the end of day, they aren't worth having as a customer.

When you order food however, the hope is the food is prepared in a way which you prefer.

You should have just seen my face when I found mayo on my italian sub last night 🤣

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Life is usually a two way street.
I completly agree.

When I worked at Wawa, I remember a guy going behind the cash register. I had to run up there and see what he was doing and asked him... His response? "The customer is always right" and he was looking for something. Seriously?

Honestly, back then, I could of laid him out, but I didn't, and asked him to leave behind the counter area and he could take it up with my manager becuase that area was not for a customer to be in.

Honestly, for all I knew, he could of been robbing the store and I should of called the police first.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Hold the pickle
Hold the lettuce
Special orders don't upset us
Ironcially enough, I've never had an issue with Micky D's ordering a fish fillet sandwhich holding the tartar sauce 😁

It's not rocket science to actually give the customer what they want.

Sidenote - I had to go with my one son to sign up with a Gym near his employment because he was only 16. I joked with him I would stop in his work place (where he was going to work after we finished the paperwork this past weekend). I actually did go in (haven't been in this "francise" in a good couple of years).

Seriously, went through their electronic menu, and I couldn't find one sandwhich I wanted because they had fancy named bread and dressings on all these fancy names for sandwhiches. I could of swore 3 years ago I could have ordered a ham and cheese on white bread at the same francise, but it was no where to be found. The one soup I looked for (cream of potato) they were "out of stock" on. I left because I couldn't find anything that made sense and went to a cheap italian place down the road.

I take that back, they did have a soup sandwhich combo, grilled cheese with tomoato soup that I wasn't in the mood for. I at least reconized that combo.

Last edited:

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
I used to eat at McDonalds about 5-6 times a week. 2-3 breakfast and 1-2 lunches. I'm not kidding when I say my order was messed up 1 out of 5 times. Be it the wrong food item, wrong beverage, no fork for a salad, you name it, but it was something wrong with the order. I did this for years and years.

Based on that, I'd estimate that 20% of the orders from that McDonalds were incorrect. 20%!!!! There were always people stopping in the drivethrough exit and going back in to get their order corrected. Pathetic.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I used to eat at McDonalds about 5-6 times a week. 2-3 breakfast and 1-2 lunches. I'm not kidding when I say my order was messed up 1 out of 5 times. Be it the wrong food item, wrong beverage, no fork for a salad, you name it, but it was something wrong with the order. I did this for years and years.

Based on that, I'd estimate that 20% of the orders from that McDonalds were incorrect. 20%!!!! There were always people stopping in the drivethrough exit and going back in to get their order corrected. Pathetic.
When I worked for a "national company", I'd explain to customers that we were a lot like micky D's. You knew what you could get, you just weren't sure what and how you'd get. Part of my job was to make it right.

There is a Micky D's by the greensboro airport area that is the BEST micky d's I've ever seen. Their drive through is like a Chick Fillet drive through IMO (fast, on the ball), and this Micky D's has NEVER screwd up my order.

It's not the company, but the people working for the company IMO.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
When I worked for a "national company", I'd explain to customers that we were a lot like micky D's. You knew what you could get, you just weren't sure what and how you'd get. Part of my job was to make it right.

There is a Micky D's by the greensboro airport area that is the BEST micky d's I've ever seen. Their drive through is like a Chick Fillet drive through IMO (fast, on the ball), and this Micky D's has NEVER screwd up my order.

It's not the company, but the people working for the company IMO.
I've been to several McDonalds that were perfect. I've been to more that were not.

Poor management in most cases.
As they say:
The fillet-o-fish rots from the head down.

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850

The real question is why are people going back if they screw up that much. I guess some people can't cook their own food.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Sounds horrible!

(I should try it :p )
A death sentence for me. Pure poison. Another one of my pet peeves. Hiding peanuts and peanut butter in cookies and other things and then serving them openly to the public. Peanuts and peanut butter should never be put into products without explicit labeling. "here try one of these delicious cookies!" Sure put the guy on the floor gasping and wheezing for his next breath, and puking and trying to wash his mouth out. Sure it is just a "harmless" peanut. When there are a fair percentage of the population that are allergic to peanuts and some where it is literally a death sentence. You really really should think about that when serving the public peanut containing products. Yet so many people are so oblivious of this.

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
A death sentence for me. Pure poison. Another one of my pet peeves. Hiding peanuts and peanut butter in cookies and other things and then serving them openly to the public. Peanuts and peanut butter should never be put into products without explicit labeling. "here try one of these delicious cookies!" Sure put the guy on the floor gasping and wheezing for his next breath, and puking and trying to wash his mouth out. Sure it is just a "harmless" peanut. When there are a fair percentage of the population that are allergic to peanuts and some where it is literally a death sentence. You really really should think about that when serving the public peanut containing products. Yet so many people are so oblivious of this.

That really cannot be emphasized enough! I am fortunate to not have allergies to any food. But, I know some who have and it's serious for them. Life threatening serious.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Sandwiches are always better when you make them yourself.
I don't eat them anymore because of the carbs, but I still can build them. Mayo has its uses, but not Italian.
I have tried to eliminate all processed meats from my diet.
I do use real butter, but very little mayo.

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
I have tried to eliminate all processed meats from my diet.
I do use real butter, but very little mayo.
My wife and one son have gone keto. I have not but in support of them I have cut out most of the things they do not eat. I have lost 8 pounds. Neither of them have lost any weight.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

My wife is allergic to peanuts, so I’m the food tester for her. She has been in ER a few times because of something with peanuts in it.
And here I am at work eating a peanut butter sandwich I made in front of her.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
My wife and one son have gone keto. I have not but in support of them I have cut out most of the things they do not eat. I have lost 8 pounds. Neither of them have lost any weight.
I am not a food/diet wacko.
I am just choosing to eliminate processed meats whenever possible.
I am closing in on 81, and have shrunk from 6'-1" to 6'-0".
I weighed 184, 30 years ago, and weigh 187 now.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I was poisoned about 2 years ago from a chocolate chip cookie offered to me. I mean for crying out loud, who puts peanut butter in a chocolate chip cookie? Some idiots apparently do. Some idiots apparently think peanut butter makes everything better. Never thinking about poisoning people in public settings.

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
Interesting thread.

Having moved from the NY/NJ area to central PA, everything was a new experience.

Chicken Pot Pie has no pie, no crust.

Some pizza is acceptable.

Mayo is an option on Italian sub. Upside is they make their own rolls, but they put 1/2 the meat/chees as the NY metro area.

And getting a real bagel, fugedaboutit.

The upside is many real farm stands with their own sweet corn, peppers, cukes, melons, etc.

I'm a mutant; I like mayo on my Italian as well as oil and vinegar and sweet peppers. Mayo on hot crispy french fries is also good. I love pickles, just not on my burger. And I prefer German style potato salad to the mayo kind.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Interesting thread.

Having moved from the NY/NJ area to central PA, everything was a new experience.

Chicken Pot Pie has no pie, no crust.

Some pizza is acceptable.

Mayo is an option on Italian sub. Upside is they make their own rolls, but they put 1/2 the meat/chees as the NY metro area.

And getting a real bagel, fugedaboutit.

The upside is many real farm stands with their own sweet corn, peppers, cukes, melons, etc.

I'm a mutant; I like mayo on my Italian as well as oil and vinegar and sweet peppers. Mayo on hot crispy french fries is also good. I love pickles, just not on my burger. And I prefer German style potato salad to the mayo kind.
Have you tried shoefly pie yet? (probably more east of you if your central Pa now).

Pretty good pie right outside of Ft. Indiantown Gap off 81 just south of where 78 turns into 81.

When my dad passes, we will have the dinner there, and shoefly pie will be on the menu (my dad wants it).

Mayo with fries? You are a mutant 🤣. That said, it's what you like. Just hope I don't have to watch it;)

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with

I'm very afraid that you would have deeply hurt Aunt Bea's feelings.