Mowing Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #1  

compact

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3520
DECCC9CD-360F-42D6-B3F0-1586F8A44565.jpeg4B39470A-1CEE-4AD3-A196-25779205A1E5.jpeg9689F312-4422-4528-9D68-12089DDC6314.jpegIn rocky New England fields the blade will eventually cut open the deck of light duty mowers like a can opener. I have found that rounding the top corner of high lift blades like the middle picture will spread the impact out and stretch the deck metal, leaving a shallow welt like the 1st picture. With a stock blade it slices into the deck, eventually looking like it was attacked by a giant can opener. This mower has about 600 acres on it, the slice in the 3rd photo was made on the first mow before it was modified. None have occurred since.

Last edited:
   / Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #2  
I am going to try that. I bought a new bush hog type mower (TN River Implements, medium duty, 6ft) and on the third use I hit an unseen rock and made a bunch of dents in the deck. Luckily none of them tore the metal.

Besides raising the mower up high enough to never come in contact with objects there must be a solution to the problem of the blades hitting the deck and wearing through.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #4  
Also, try re-torquing the main stump jumper nut after you have used the mower some.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #5  
Some brands have a steel ring, about 2' smaller than the cut diameter welded to the bottom of the deck. The blade will ride along the ring, and not contact the deck.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #6  
Some brands have a steel ring, about 2' smaller than the cut diameter welded to the bottom of the deck. The blade will ride along the ring, and not contact the deck.

I bought my Land Pride 2672 deck used. Whomever had it prior welded curved 2" by 3/8 steel to the underside. In fact did a really nice job. They then repainted the deck.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #7  
Never had any blades make contact with any of my mower decks. Something is worn or loose to make that happen.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #8  
Never had any blades make contact with any of my mower decks. Something is worn or loose to make that happen.

It's common if you brush hog rocky areas: the repeated hits on the rocks slowly bend the blades upward. Eventually, there is enough of a bend that a good wallop will bounce the blade into the underside of the deck.

/ Anti can opener treatment for rotary mower #10  

Just chalk it up to good luck on your part. Got mine 1st or second use, nothing worn, nothing loose.