anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel?

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #1  

BlackOps

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
I get this antigel diesel treatment at tsc - a gold/yellow color. says the small bottle should do about 200 gals diesel. i use more than what they call for at all fill-ups throughout the year to make sure that there is stuff in there esp going from summer to fall into winter and not always sure how much i use the tractor or have to top it off. however i still have one screwed up of a time to start my tractor. i even had the dealer put on a magnetic heater on it and had it plugged in for days before attempting to start it. also topped off the battery too - many time for both and still a no go in cold temps. so i have to ask - maybe i should use more of the anti-gel treatment.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #2  
Each brand of anti gel has a recommended amount to add per gallon. I use Power Service in the white bottle and usually put in MORE than the recommended dose. I treat my fuel in bulk (275 gallon tank).

Since you treat your fuel, have a magnetic heater, and keep the battery topped off is it possible that one or more of your glow plugs are not working correctly. I had the same problem with my Mahindra 2615HST three times in 10 years and it was the glow plugs. After the third time I got an upgrade kit for mine that included higher voltage glow plugs and a new timer that kept the plugs on longer. Your Max25 probably has this kit already but the plugs could be the problem.

Just an FYI. An 80 oz. bottle of PS treats up to 250 gallons. That works out to 3.125 oz per gallon. I add about 100 oz to my 275 gallon. That's approx. 3.5-3.75 oz per gallon so I add more than recommended.

Last edited:
   / anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #3  
How many hours are on the tractor? Is the cranking speed at least 2/3 rds of normal speed after you run the heater for 2+ hours? Does the block feel at least 50 degrees after using the magnetic heater for an hour or two?

Maybe your battery is getting weak or your starter brushes are getting worn/internals are getting corroded. I have a battery tender and block heater but no glow plugs and can start my old 1970's JD 85 hp diesel at zero degrees F if I leave it plugged into the block heater for 1.5 - 2 hours.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #4  
I use Power Service. Doing the math equals - 1.5 fluid oz per five gallons if the outside temps are to be above zero F. Double that amount - 3 fluid oz per five gallons - if the outside temps will be below zero F. I always go the 3 fluid oz route.

JMHO - there is something other than jelled fuel that is the root cause of your difficult starts.

Check these areas:

- does the starter turn at "normal" speeds
- how cold are you talking about, example - I've started my current tractor at -20F - - nothing plugged in - starter was a tad slow but tractor fired right up
- I'm still using summer diesel but with PS in it no jelling what-so-ever
- tractor housed in a three sided carport, no heat
- look down into your fuel tank, if you can. Stir the fuel with a long, clean stick - is it jelled or not.
- ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOUR PREHEAT SYSTEM, WHATEVER IT IS, IS WORKING CORRECTLY(glow plugs, grid intake heater, etc)

Just a few of the areas to check - right off the top

Last edited:
   / anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #5  
I agree with oosik as to the amount of PowerService White bottle to add. Regional diesel fuel distributors amend their #1 fuel for Winter. The local stations around here further amend their #1 with additional kerosene, but the basic additive proportion as recommended by oosik is solid.

It's a long sad story. I had to add PowerService911 (similar additive amount as PowerServiceWhite). 911 does not reduce cloud point/gelling point it just removes/absorbs water. But with the 3 fluid ounces of PowerService my diesel fuel was clear at 0F and reached cloud point somewhere between -7F and -10F.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #6  
I use the Howes brand. 1 oz. per 5 gal. can. It has gotten down in the single digits here in the Smokies and tractor always starts. I also always filter my diesel when I fill it up with a Mr. Funnel.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #7  
The only time that I needed 911 treatment is when I did not use a Mr. Funnel.

Despite the residual fuel left in the bottom it is a good investment.

There was a thread about this recently where one poster suggested saving the residual fuel for QC and when of sufficient quantity return it to fuel storage.

PowerService and Howes additives are commonly used around here.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #8  
I use Howes mainly. It calls for 1 oz per 5 gallons above 0*, and 2 oz per 5 gallons below 0*. The catch here is that, like all treatments, the dosage is based on winter treated diesel. It lowers the "cold filter plug point" by 18*. If you are using diesel that wasn't properly treated from the distributor, that point could be starting at 40*. Add your preferred dosage and it still only protects you to 20*.
A side note, Howes says to use the heavier dose regardless of temps for cars and trucks.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #9  
Howes was recommended to me by a heavy construction equipment O/O. It surprises me that PowerService does not also have a recommended additive amount for different temperatures on the bottle or website that I have found. Somewhere I read that adding more additive than recommended would not harm the engine. I believe that applied to only PowerService White bottle; maybe the grey/silver bottle as well.

/ anti gel - how much per 5-6 gals diesel? #10  
An easy test to see if your glow plugs are working properly is to open the air filter cup and blow hot air into the filter container from an electric hair dryer. If the engine then starts easily, you can be pretty sure that the glow plugs aren't working properly. Lots easier than checking all the wiring for shorts or checking the glow plugs with an Ohm meter as a first check.
If it starts, THEN you need to check all the wiring and the plugs to see if everything is working.