Anticipated Reply

/ Anticipated Reply #1  

majorwager

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota mx 5100 IH 484 ford 1620 lull 844b
Strange how some threads just take off with seemingly endless responses and others simply wither and quickly disappear. I wonder the result when a member seems to actually have a problem solving response, and yet the recipient dashes away with problem solving advice, never bothering to acknowledge same.

And yes, the quality of the thread can determine replies and some threads are less than interesting, like this one as an example. And yet we start threads, reply to posts, all in the spirit of assisting TBN reach the next goal of 6 million.

EDIT:
INDUSTRIAL: And yet you might show a gesture of courtesy upon receiving said directions, maybe?

Last edited:
   / Anticipated Reply #2  
Kinda depends on the nature of the post. Sometimes the OP is merely in a bind and needs a quick solution to a unique/obscure problem where few people would have a clue. Sometimes a question is posed where there is no single "best" answer and those can get "traffic" (all good because the number of alternatives lets the OP pick). And you'll also note that activity seems to be highly related to the time of year where people want to hang out in this corner bar when they have nothing else to do.

/ Anticipated Reply #3  
On the other hand. If I stop and ask a stranger for directions, I appreciate the help but don't owe him to the extent, that I will track him down to let him know how I made out.

/ Anticipated Reply #4  
I've seen what majorwager is talking about. I would consider it a gesture of appreciation/common courtesy- you have a problem - post it on TBN - get many or few responses - the problem is solved - post the "fix", how it solved the problem - thank everybody. I don't think a lot of people understand how the follow up and a thank you leaves everybody feeling good.

/ Anticipated Reply #5  
What about those out in left field? It takes some Diplomacy to avoid making it seem like someone was the "winner". I guess, nowadays you would have to pretend it was a GROUP effort! Good Job Everyone!

/ Anticipated Reply #6  
How many times do you read a thread and see the same answer from various posters over time, and/or answers which make it clear that he didn't take the time to read the question, or simply wants to add his :2cents: without bothering to check and see if the suggestion was made 12 times already? Conversely how many times do you see a question by someone with only 2 posts, never to return again?

/ Anticipated Reply #7  
I have received really valuable information on this forum. . . and maybe have once or twice given some. I try to post follow-ups to let everyone know what was tried or not tried, what may have worked or not worked, and how the issue was resolved - whether from the advice given or otherwise. The way I see it is that this is a place to help and be helped, and to learn, and the more follow up you provide the more you are enhancing the value of this forum. It just makes sense to complete the circle.

/ Anticipated Reply #8  
Someone may have the possible answer but does not want to read pages of material to see if it has been suggested. I get that, no big deal. I have posted answers without having read the op too carefully and then often edited or deleted my post when I realized the error. Or read stuff that wasn't there. It's the way the brain works.

/ Anticipated Reply #9  
I've seen what majorwager is talking about. I would consider it a gesture of appreciation/common courtesy- you have a problem - post it on TBN - get many or few responses - the problem is solved - post the "fix", how it solved the problem - thank everybody. I don't think a lot of people understand how the follow up and a thank you leaves everybody feeling good.

Agreed! We are all building a resource for millions- both for today and in the future. We should strive to “close the loop” with regards to the issue and solution.

This is bigger than us- seems some don’t see past their own nose though. We call them IGMers (I got mine) or chainsaws (I, i, i (saw starting) me, me meee (saw running)).

/ Anticipated Reply #10  
Kinda depends on the nature of the post. Sometimes the OP is merely in a bind and needs a quick solution to a unique/obscure problem where few people would have a clue. Sometimes a question is posed where there is no single "best" answer and those can get "traffic" (all good because the number of alternatives lets the OP pick). And you'll also note that activity seems to be highly related to the time of year where people want to hang out in this corner bar when they have nothing else to do.
:thumbsup:

Conversely how many times do you see a question by someone with only 2 posts, never to return again?
I see nothing wrong with that. Perhaps that person got the information they were looking for and got on with life.

I have more appreciation for the value in the replies rather than reaching a new milestone for the number of posts here on TBN.