Antique drive chain on my grain drill

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Anyone know what this type of chain is called?

Antique drive chain (Small).jpg

I need to get several loops of this type of chain apart to get them
off a drive shaft and then put them back together. Is there a simple way to do this?

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #2  
It's called a few different names, but Flat Steel Chain is one and Steel Detachable Chain is another. Here's one site that deals in it. Steel Detachable Chain on F.C. Mason

To get them apart you have to have enough slack in it to kink it such that the side of the link lines up with the slot and then you drive it through the slot. This usually requires something solid to act as an anvil and a decent sized hammer to whack it with.

Dimensional-Drawing.jpg

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill
It's called a few different names, but Flat Steel Chain is one and Steel Detachable Chain is another. Here's one site that deals in it. Steel Detachable Chain on F.C. Mason

To get them apart you have to have enough slack in it to kink it such that the side of the link lines up with the slot and then you drive it through the slot. This usually requires something solid to act as an anvil and a decent sized hammer to whack it with.

Dimensional-Drawing.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #4  
Also, if there not too messed up, there should be a number stamped into ever one of them. this is a number that can be x-referenced . if you cant find the number, you'll have to measure all the openings, shaft thickness, etc.

A good reference can also be found at www.shoupparts.com

they can also send you a catalog with all the pertinent details.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #5  
In Australia it's known as Agricultural Chain.

My seeder has it too.

Also, if there not too messed up, there should be a number stamped into ever one of them. this is a number that can be x-referenced . if you cant find the number, you'll have to measure all the openings, shaft thickness, etc.

A good reference can also be found at www.shoupparts.com

they can also send you a catalog with all the pertinent details.

Thanks for the lead. Looks like I can get new chains from Shoup.

/ Antique drive chain on my grain drill #8  
Around here, TSC carries it. Not sure about your area though.

Dimensional-Drawing.jpg

The two chains were hanging on the feed tube axles of my grass seed boxes and on the main wheel axles of my grain drill and I needed to get them off so I could reuse them on my cultipacker-seeder. Here's a really cheap solution:

I took a 3"x3"x 1/4" thick piece of steel weld stock and cut a narrow 1.25" long slot using my 4-1/4" angle grinder with a cutting blade. C-clamp this little tool to the frame of the grain drill with the slot vertical, slip on of the links into the slot. Angle the adjacent link at 45-deg so the sides of that link line up with the gap in the end of the link in the slot (C in the figure above) and hit that angled link with a ball-peen hammer a few whacks. No problem--the links separate slick as hog poop.