Ants in access control keypad

/ Ants in access control keypad #11  
I really do not understand what ants find so attractive about electronics, etc. The ants invaded and ruined the control circuitry in my neighbors auto gate opener. Had to be replaced. The company tech said its the formic acid the ants lay down when identifying their trails. Etches and short circuits the circuit boards.

/ Ants in access control keypad #12  
I really do not understand what ants find so attractive about electronics, etc. The ants invaded and ruined the control circuitry in my neighbors auto gate opener. Had to be replaced. The company tech said its the formic acid the ants lay down when identifying their trails. Etches and short circuits the circuit boards.

Supposedly something about the magnetic field generated by electronics attracts them. Works for other bugs too. Not sure what the heck they do to the circuitry, but any time I've gotten a nest the electronics are destroyed...

/ Ants in access control keypad
I musta caught mine just in time. The edges of one of the boards are a tiny bit swollen, but after cleaning, everything works. Everything about the keypad EXCEPT the boards is now saturated with Ortho Home Defense and Triazicide. I mounted mine on a nice "rustic" cedar post. Perfect environment for the ants. This may be one place where the standard steel pole is better.

SANY1197 (1024x768).jpg