Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ?

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #1  

Hoss710

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4320, JD 4700, JD 710C, IH Super A.
I bought a used 4700 with HST. Tractor engine runs fantastic. it drives very well except when you let off the forward pedal. it still wants to drive forward ( more or less inching. if I hit the reverse pedal it will slightly move back, then stop and not want to go forward. also if the throttle is up it seems to get worse. So far I replaced the shock absorber on the HST linkage. I have ordered a new return spring. I adjusted the hst shaft 2 1/2 turns back towards the reverse. that has helped a lot but now it's just starting sometimes to slightly inch in reverse instead of forward. if I adust it a flat farther from reverse. then it wants to inch forward again. I bought a service manual a week ago. but it hasn't shown up yet. so anyone been down this road before? and if so can you please share what was wrong?

on a last note I use to be a member on here back around 2005 ( I posted on here a fair amount back then( but for some reason it wouldn't let me log in. ( it's been a number of years since I was on) So I rejoined.

Thank you !

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ?
it sounds like I need my servo motor needs adjusted. see below. borrowed from another post on here.

4000 Series-HST Creep Solution​

{JD Service Bulletin from John Deere 4000 Club Forum}

John Deere 4000 Series Club

Solution Number: 46610

Doc ID: LV46610

Solution Summary: SIB 00-11-35-1 - 4000 Series CUT Tractor With HST Will Creep

Publication Date: Apr 10 2000

Product Affected:

Model 4600 and 4700 HST CUT Tractors:

4600H (160001- 366100)

4600E (166001-369100)

4700H (175001-175186)

Complaint or Symptom:

The tractor creeps forward or reverse when the control pedals are released.

Problem:

1. The hydrostatic control pedal linkage is out of adjustment and will not return to neutral.

2. The hydrostatic servo motor is out of adjustment and will not return to neutral.

Solution:

To determine which problem is at fault:

Disconnect the yoke to bracket. (Fig. 1)
NOTE: Refer to Bulletin 00-11-35-1 for figures 1, 2 and 3.

Start the engine.
Place the shift lever in A range.
Run the engine at high idle.

1. If the tractor does not creep with the linkage disconnected, reconnect the yoke and adjust the linkage as follows:

A. Start the engine.

B. Place the range lever in A range.

C. Run the engine at high idle.

D. Slowly depress the REVERSE pedal to confirm travel is 13mm (0.5 In.) before the tractor begins to move.

E. If the pedal travel is out of adjustment, shut the engine OFF and engage the park brake.

CAUTION: Severe injury or death can result if the engine is not shut off when performing the neutral adjustment.

F. Locate the roller bearing and cam follower under the platform on the right side. (Fig. 1)

NOTE: The roller bearing is attached to an eccentric that must be turned to perform the following adjustments.

G. To change the amount of free play, loosen the locking nut that holds the eccentric to the reverse shaft. (Fig. 2)

H. Use a wrench to rotate the eccentric to move the roller bearing forward or rearward.

1) Forward increases free play.

2) Rearward decreases.

I. Tighten the locking nut.

J. Start the engine, run at high idle and disengage the park brake.

K. Slowly depress the REVERSE pedal to assure travel is 13mm

(0.5 In.) before the tractor begins to move.

L. Repeat steps G through K until the roller to cam is within specification.

M. Move the forward and reverse pedals and listen for the neutral switch "click" when the pedals are released.

NOTE: Engine will not start if the neutral switch does not close when the pedals are released.

N. If no click is heard, adjust the neutral switch to open with 6-9mm (0.25-0.38 In.) of pedal travel.

2. If the tractor moves after the linkage is adjusted, obtain the LVA10365 Hydro Adjustment Kit to adjust the servo motor.

NOTE: The kit provides an instruction to cut an access hole in the clutch housing to provide access to the servo motor adjustment. (Fig 3)

Parts:

LVA10365 1 Kit, Hydro Adjustment

JDG1291 1 Set, Neutral Creep Adjustment Tool (ServiceGard)

Additional Information:

1. JDG1291 Tool Set is required and an essential ASSET tool.

2. The clutch housing access hole was incorporated on HST equipped 4600 and 4700 tractors after the PIN range listed in the heading of this bulletin.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #3  
I’ve had the same issue with my 23-year old JD4600 HST. In fact, the external grommet linkage on the pedal broke. Once that was all fixed, then everything was back to normal.

I will say though, that this -60 Windchill and snow did manage to make my front loader cylinders make some noise for a while of use. Not sure how one fixes that. Now that it has warmed up to normal, things have been fine.

-Bob

thanks for the reply. unfortunately I couldn't preform the test of putting the tractor in the air , and put it in A range ( driveway is a 18% grade from start to finish) so it's at the JD dealership. hopefully I gets some feedback the next day or 2.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #5  
I had to take mine to the JD dealership as well…. Fortunately - much like when the roller in the Transmission went out (shift roller had to be replaced), I had it down at the dealership ready for them to look at it. They fixed it for me and we went from there.

While I do my normal maintenance, I usually call the service manager and ask if it is something I should fix (I also replaced a starter once) and he is honest with me on it. From there if it is something they should do, I always take it in.

Good luck and let us know what happened!

-Bob

Ok got 2 calls with updates today. 1st call was they had adjusted the servo motor , and it still acted like it was sticking. 2nd call was they had replaced the shaft bearing and no change. so they ordered a inner spring that centers the swash plate bearing. they will have that tomorrow.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #7  
Sounds to me like the wrong hydraulic oil is in there. Supposed to be 30 wgt. Lo-Vis, eh ? 40 wgt can cripple it like this. Found same problem in a Kubota. Generic TCS hydraulic oil was the culprit. Saving money lost more than they bargained for.

I'll mention it to the dealership. the oil looks fresh and probably replaced by the previous owner ( as there were no recent records of service in JD's data base) thanks for the information! They did mention that the issue was actually with the reverse not forward. said reverse has to much tension not allowing the forward to reach neutral when coming back to center. the pedal forward pushed easy. reverse requires much ( at least 3x the force) more effort.

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #9  
When I had my issue, it was with the linkage below the pedal that caused the problem as the wear/tear over 20 years caused it to not return the pedals to their normal positions. I could get acceleration if I reached down and pulled the pedal up myself, but otherwise it required repairs to all the linkages so the pedals worked normally.

Sounds like you’re making progress, though. Would love to see pictures of it if possible when complete.

Hang in there!

/ Any JD 4700 HST mechanics in here ? #10  
Could be as simple as lubricating the pedal pivot and linkage. My shop built Kenbota with a rocker style F/R will creep sometimes. That's how I know it needs lubed again. Seems to need it 2-3 times a year. That reminds me, I need to adjust the parking brake again.