Any Lochinvar Techs out there ?

/ Any Lochinvar Techs out there ? #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
Sorry, I know, HVAC question on TBN, hey where else can you find knowledgeable people in all sorts of professional trades. So, doing my 2-year maintenance on my '14 KBN-81 Boiler and all set to replace the Divider Plate Insulating Baffle in the rear of the Heat Exchanger, can't seem to identify the deteriorated hex head screw and flat washer anywhere (see attached PIC). Not identified in Lochinvar's Parts Catalog, Unlike John Deer's Parts Catalog where everything is listed. I certainly want to install the manufacturer's suggested parts, heat resistant parts since they get a direct blast from the burner. Any help appreciated from an HVAC Tradesperson familiar with Lochinvar. THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
   / Any Lochinvar Techs out there ?
Yup several times + look at their Illustrated Parts Listing, etc., etc., et. In my working years I was involved with DOD Logistics and Provisioning.

Today I received two bits of information, one step at a time, slow and steady

Lochinvar PN: 100162912 MSC2181 RETAINER, BAFFLE, INSULATION (OUT OF PRODUCTION)

Lochinvar PN: 100134709 BLT20082 SCREW, FLAT HEAD SOCKET CAP, M4 X 16, SS (OUT OF PRODUCTION)
With this information I can at least ID the screw, now to further research the physical characteristics of the "Flat Washer" probably also SS, of course the hole to accommodate the M4 screw. after pulling it I should be good-to-go.... hopefully......

/ Any Lochinvar Techs out there ? #4  
Why not just go with stainless and call it good no more rusting and you don't have to worry about moisture messing with it.

Shouldn't cost very much for a fender washer and machine bolt or tech screw.

/ Any Lochinvar Techs out there ? #5  
As Dtodd states just get a SST 1/4" fender washer and use the same M4 screws, but HD or any hardware store has a good selection of SST screws.

Any SST washer will do if it's close to 4MM .170" and a 1/4" SST washer is .250 ID and that should work as the picture you provided the bolt appears to have a decent shoulder.

As Dtodd states just get a SST 1/4" fender washer and use the same M4 screws, but HD or any hardware store has a good selection of SST screws.

Any SST washer will do if it's close to 4MM .170" and a 1/4" SST washer is .250 ID and that should work as the picture you provided the bolt appears to have a decent shoulder.

YES Dtodd, thanks, planned on SST so wouldn't have dissimilar metals with the SST M4 Machine screw but a better characterization, a "Fender Washer".
I agree Carl_NH, I'll be looking for a SST Fender Washer for sure. I'll know better the exact diameter after I gingerly remove it today, slow and steady, you can see in the PIC the OEM SCREW, FLAT HEAD SOCKET CAP, M4 X 16, SST screw is a bit deteriorated. Lastly, pretty disappointed in Lochinvar's Illustrated Parts List, unidentified parts usage and my '13 Boiler already obsolete.

Thanks for your imputs

/ Any Lochinvar Techs out there ? #7  
Lochinvar parts drawings and service literature is terrible. Drill it and tap it to the closest saw size and use 316 stainless hardware

I'm good to go, the SCREW, FLAT HEAD SOCKET CAP, M4 X 16, SST inserts into a stem welded on the rear wall of the Heat Exchanges (attached PIC) so no tapping necessary. Was able to extract old screw and found a replacement. I ended up purchasing a 3/16 X 1-1/2 Stainless Steel Fender Washer.

Attachments

• 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 58