Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #1  

Matune

Tractor
2020 TYM 474
TYM 474. Do not want to tear up the front end....

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #2  
CONS:
Loose chains getting caught in your steering mechanism causing damage.
Rough ride
Hard on your 4WD

PROS
Cheaper
Easier to put on and take off
Rough ride on roads makes you go slower

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #3  
Just my humble opinion - I would not recommend chains on just the front. Increased traction on just the front could put unnecessary strain on the drive line. Either chain all four or no chains at all.

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #4  
Just my humble opinion - I would not recommend chains on just the front. Increased traction on just the front could put unnecessary strain on the drive line. Either chain all four or no chains at all.

What do you have against rear chains only?

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #5  
Where the OP is there probably is a lot of ice and is in the mountains so i would be worried about lack of steering control .
Too, if the rear of the tractor ends up unweighted you would have an issue with Braking esp downhill. I once took a ride with rear chains only on a paved drive when waiting for new fronts to arrive a day or two later. not worth the risk. The difference in confidence is similar to going from summer tires to really good snow tires or studded snows. I have to agree 0 wheels or 4. If 0 then i would think about some Koldkutters. Using just the fronts might stress the drivetrain in a way that's not intended and if not in 4 wheel braking would be non existent. This part of the country has far worse traction issues than most of the northern US.

What do you have against rear chains only?

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #6  
Thank God - my mile long gravel driveway is straight as an arrow. However - the driveway does cut across a deep valley. I "rode the load" one day. Pulling a full loaded double axle trailer - 2.5 chord of green firewood - with my first tractor. I was very lucky but learned about 4WD and breaking efficiencies in a real big hurry.

Aggressive chains like I had - V-bar - would have put an unnecessary stress on the drive train if only used on the front tires. Rear only - I just don't know and it could end up being a very expensive experiment.

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #7  
I have used front only on my 1510 since I got it with no problems.

CONS:
Loose chains getting caught in your steering mechanism causing damage.
Maybe one adjustment needed per year
Rough ride
MUCH smoother then rears alone
Hard on your 4WD
Chains over turfs can't be any worse then ag tires in mud in the summer.

PROS
Cheaper
MUCH
Easier to put on and take off
MUCH
Rough ride on roads makes you go slower
Still smoother then rears

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #8  
This has been discussed before. If the primary problem is loss of steering control on the front tires and not traction, then this is a good way to solve that problem. I would not do it for "forward traction" purposes. For that purpose, I would first begin with chains on the rear, then go to chains on the front tires if that leads to loss of steering control.

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only #9  
I wouldn't recommend it on front only, if you have push blade/snowbox/front snow blower. Chains on all four to maintain steering. I have on rear only as I seldom need to put it in 4wd now if at all.

135224045_10157781120765983_6266528669213423255_o.jpg

/ Any negative thoughts about putting tire chains on front only
Thanks folks. I posted hoping to learn from your experience and I have, thanks.

Steering control is my issue. I have weighted rears and carrying a heavy woods box blade for weight. Front likes to take off to one side while pushing an angle blade. Always seems to be ice under the heavy wet snow... I can take off layers at a time though an avoid that to a point. Plus I already have some truck chains that fit already.

So...any suggestions on where/what chains to buy for the rear?