Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor?

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #1  

wisconsitom

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct2025 HST
Hey all, we're going to weld some hooks onto a 3-pt. skidding winch that lives on the rear end of my tractor. This amounts to a few tacks really. Question is, should one disconnect the battery or anything when welding on what amounts to a part of the tractor, given it's all continuous from an electrical standpoint.

Or am I overthinking this, like I usually do?

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #2  
For the most part using a DC welder (the welding current itself, not what the welder is plugged into) and having the welder ground as close to the weld as possible there is little chance of an issue, If using an AC welder doing similar should be fine but if the tractor engine has a computer it really would be safer to disconnect the battery...

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor?
Thank you sir. This is a simple machine, a bobcat ct2025. No computer.

The welder is my son's Hobart tabletop mig, I know not the AC/DC, but can check that.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #4  
The welder current flows from the working tip to the ground clamp. No worries really. Make sure you clean the clamp contact area and keep it reasonably close to the work area.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor?
Thanks guys.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #6  
The welder current flows from the working tip to the ground clamp. No worries really. Make sure you clean the clamp contact area and keep it reasonably close to the work area.
I have a magnetized watch for sale. Keeps perfect time twice a day.

Welding can induce currents. Stray EMF starting and stopping arcs can be a bother for electronics. The safest bet is to disconnect the battery before welding but I don't always follow my own advice.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #7  
I have a magnetized watch for sale. Keeps perfect time twice a day.

Welding can induce currents. Stray EMF starting and stopping arcs can be a bother for electronics. The safest bet is to disconnect the battery before welding but I don't always follow my own advice.
Okay sure. But I probably did that once in 30 years and never had a problem then or the other 999 times I didn't disconnect. Of course I could just have dumb luck :cool:

Last edited:
   / Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #8  
If you worry about EMF what good does disconnecting the battery do? You still have all the frame grounds (connected to your welder ground) and the current comes from the EMF not the battery. I agree that arcs could cause a problem by inducing higher voltage or current that the electronics can handle but that could still happen with the battery disconnected.
Not an expert and willing to learn.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #9  
Okay sure. But I probably did that once in 30 years and never had a problem the other 999 times. Of course I could just have dumb luck :cool:
90% of the time, I'm right every time.

/ Any precautions-electrical system-when welding on tractor? #10  
I try not to weld on connected electrical systems. I usually try and pull both battery leads off.
There have been a few times when I didn't with no adverse effects.
My bigger concern is welding across bearing or joint surfaces I try and keep my ground on the same piece that I'm welding to or on.
Often if I can I'll use the ground clamp to hold the piece that I'm going to weld onto the unit.