Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #31  
gear vs chain might be a factor of how big the chain or gear is. I tilled virgin stony ground 47 HP HST and it did it, but I did have to keep it below 80 MPH.
My tiller can get nice and deep, but I think my 16" 2-bottom will go deeper though, in my soil, I don't see the up-side in it.
If I have to replace this one I'd start looking at Falc before I looked at frontier or woods etc.
We have an old LONG that was old when I was a kid. I'm 53 now, and we still use it.

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection
Looks to me to be the input yoke for the tiller. Not something you would ordinarily remove except maybe to service the parts on the tiller side. The nut and bolt will secure the spline by compressing the yoke onto the spline and the large nut keeps the yoke from coming off and finally the roll pin locks the nut in place.
All that makes so much sense except the yoke slips around the nut. look at the first image. The nut is buried in the yoke. It's pinned in a position where it is not binding on anything.

I might guess that it's all some afterthought engineering when the company decided to scrap the clutch and build a yoke just for that shaft and didn't know what else to do with the nut. so they just included it against the possibility that some owner might want to retrofit the clutch.

There's a tube extending out from the left hand side gear head that is bolted VIA a U bolt to the rest of the frame inside. Covering the tube is a little cap and holding the cap on is a pin with a bend in it.
I pulled the pin and inside are two really nice made in England wrenches supplied by the Howard co and a manual and parts list ( soaked in 50 or 60 years of oil). It's a type E

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #34  
All that makes so much sense except the yoke slips around the nut. look at the first image. The nut is buried in the yoke. It's pinned in a position where it is not binding on anything.

I might guess that it's all some afterthought engineering when the company decided to scrap the clutch and build a yoke just for that shaft and didn't know what else to do with the nut. so they just included it against the possibility that some owner might want to retrofit the clutch.

There's a tube extending out from the left hand side gear head that is bolted VIA a U bolt to the rest of the frame inside. Covering the tube is a little cap and holding the cap on is a pin with a bend in it.
I pulled the pin and inside are two really nice made in England wrenches supplied by the Howard co and a manual and parts list ( soaked in 50 or 60 years of oil). It's a type E
Is there room for a flat washer to fit behind the nut and against a shoulder on the yoke?

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #36  
That's it, we're not gonna go any more into the feelings stuff? I had funny things to add! I'm disappoint.

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #37  
I am surprise there is this many girls in this tractor forum but not surprise some of them got offended... I don't know why but I am not surprise.

Last edited:
   / Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #38  
It's a male 1.5" Dia by 10-spline the mating part I suppose came from the maker in the 1960s is not a female spline it uses two removable keys and a squishy-nut-&-bolt to compress the connection the yoke is split for the squishy.

But it gets better.
There's a honkin big hex nut on a threaded component on the end of the male spline. The nut is pinned to the threaded member.
View attachment 763445View attachment 763446
The Howard Rotovator was intended to be a more or less permanent addition to the tractor. I collect and restore Ford N tractors and Howard had a model to fit the N’s. I’ve never run across an N set up for the Howard but my understanding is that the tractor itself had to have a Sherman style auxiliary transmission installed to gear it down. It would be no surprise to find that the PTO was modified to a unique configuration also.

The www.ntractorclub.com website has a large historic data section with uploaded maintenance and operating manuals and sales literature for old Ford tractors,accessories and implements. If a Howard manual is available anywhere it would be posted there.

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #39  
My guess, knowing the age of Howard Rotovator company, they needed a spline capable of more torque than the standard 540, pulled out their engineering manual and designed this part using spline dimensions listed - and capable of the torque. No thought that 70 years later someone would still be using it and company no longer there to supply parts. Now if you could have a machinist modify a standard PTO yoke to fit the spline. Not going to be cheap for a one off so you do whatever you can to make it run.

/ Any you girls ever see this type PTO connection #40  
That's it, we're not gonna go any more into the feelings stuff? I had funny things to add! I'm disappoint.
Personally, I'm offended the o/p implies girls wouldn't know what that thing is. It smacks of sexism...coming from a rich white man! Also, "you" girls? What's next, "you people"? And how does he know we identify as girls? This misgendering stuff needs to stop!

There, I said my funnies, I'll make my exit now.