Anybody growing a garden ?

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #11  
Not sure which variety I have, I've heard Rabbit Eye, I had 6 large bushes when I moved here and I have moved about 10 volunteers out into the row.
A couple years ago I got about 15 gallons from the bushes. Last year was light because of little rain. My berries are the size of dimes, see pic. They are so big they show through both sides of a pancake!!!!
I saw Blueberry plants at Walmart Wednesday locally. That is also where I bought the asparagus roots, 6 roots for $3. I put in 3 rows of 12 plants last year and 1 more this year. The roots are one year old when bought so I can start picking the first planting this year (2 years old). I picked 6 spears today and ate them with supper tonight. YUM!
I found a lot of info on the aspargus on google, you might try googling aspargus or blueberries and your area.

Attachments

• 000_0711.jpg
    000_0711.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 000_0712.jpg
    000_0712.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 000_0716.jpg
    000_0716.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 82
   / Anybody growing a garden ? #12  
I see the BB plants here too, but have been reluctant to try them since they aren't very recommended here. I may just have to bite the bullet and give them a go, only $$

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #13  
no garden yet be about 6weeks before i start planting i don't plant as early as alot of the people here do i try to wait till the ground is warm enough so i only need to do it once man them green onions and blue berry muffins look good i can make a meal out of green onions a couple slices a bread and salt shacker.:thumbsup:

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #14  
Taters, cabbage and beets-slash-clover. The clover has taken over my beets and two freezes didn't help them either.
Also have an asparagus bed starting to wake up. My blueberries are budding too.

Wow! That garden looks good with the nice cabbages. I have not been able to till my garden yet because it is too wet. Last year it was too dry and this year it's too wet. What are you gonna do?

Jesse, those onions sure look delicious too. Young green onions are one of my favorite things in salads and as a side dish by themselves.:licking:

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #15  
I just started some seeds in trays in the basement.

The rest of my seed orders sgould be in this next week.

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #16  
The tomatoes that have been growing in pots in my greenhouse over the winter have bloomed but no fruit.....until today. Look closely at the center of the picture and you will see my first tomato of the season. We have 21 degrees predicted tonight so I will run the propane heater to keep it at a reasonable temp.

IMG_0394.jpg

Not sure what it will do from this point on, but it's a start.

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #17  
Wow! That garden looks good with the nice cabbages. I have not been able to till my garden yet because it is too wet. Last year it was too dry and this year it's too wet. What are you gonna do?

Jim, add 10-20 bags of dry cement, that'll dry her out:D:laughing:

The tomatoes that have been growing in pots in my greenhouse over the winter have bloomed but no fruit.....until today. Look closely at the center of the picture and you will see my first tomato of the season. We have 21 degrees predicted tonight so I will run the propane heater to keep it at a reasonable temp.

IMG_0394.jpg

Nice tomatoes!! Hard to beat a greenhouse. I have never had one of my own, but have tinkered around in a few. I would enjoy working in one in the winter, just to get my hands dirty.

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #18  
I would enjoy working in one in the winter, just to get my hands dirty.

This is my first greenhouse, and this is my first winter with it. I was building it last fall, fell off a ladder and broke my leg. Got it finished and you are right about enjoying working in it. I did not have a great spot for one so just added this on to the side of a tractor shed that I was building. It gets some pretty good sunshine in the winter time, which is when I need it.

Today, our temps have been dropping steadily, and the wind gusts to 30mph. I checked the greenhouse about an hour ago and it was 64 degrees when the outside temps were in low 40s. Pleasant to work in it during those conditions, especially to be out of the furious wind. This year I am also growing some sawtooth oak and persimmon trees.

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #19  
That's a 24 degree difference. If I got that here today, that would make it about 38 degrees. :(

/ Anybody growing a garden ? #20  
That's a 24 degree difference. If I got that here today, that would make it about 38 degrees. :(

I just checked it again to figure out when do I turn on the heat. About 43 in greenhouse and 34 outside. The greenhouse loses it natural heater when the sun goes down.