Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions?

/ Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
I've had some of the pieces lying around to build a dump trailer for a few years now. I'm thinking I may soon actually have the time to work on it. Problem is - I would like to build the dump bed out of aluminum. I figure it would save a decent amount of weight - and also since it would be getting filled with dirt and rocks - I wouldn't have to worry about scratching all the paint off of it.

I also have a Worthington - all aluminum utility trailer - and the thing is made up of what I could best describe as aluminum "planks" that must be some sort of extrusion since they are hollow but with ribs internally spaced every inch and a half or so.

I'm thinking using a "plank" like this for the dump bed would work well - strong yet light - I would just have to weld them together and add reinforcing ribs to make up the dump bed.

There are pictures of some of the utility trailers that use these planks here:

Worthington Trailers : 64 Series Utility

My biggest problem is - I have no idea where I would find something like this. I've done some internet searching but came up dry.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to look?

/ Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #2  
Jim,

At times we buy extrusions or have extrusions made for customers where I work. Your best bet would be to find a service center near you for one of the extruders. Try this site
ThomasNet® - Product Sourcing and Supplier Discovery Platform

You can go to products and type in extrusions see all available. You can also refine the search to individual states.

The problem my be finding the extrusion you need that is currently stocked.

If I get time tomorrow I will look up a few for you.

/ Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions?
Thanks - when I get home I will take a picture of the trailer floor to give a better idea of what I am looking for. I don't need a lot - just enough to build the dump bed - which will probably be 8x5 + the sides.

It might be a proprietary extrusion for Worthington - I don't know.

/ Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #4  
   / Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #5  
Years ago I worked for Fruehauf Trailer. We would replace the worn out floors in 38' Semi dump Trailers. To do that they had 4' X 12" X 1/4" Aluminum sheets rolled in two places to form a "U" and we overlayed them and MIG welded in place on the old floor.
Having sheets rolled and then adding angle or channel frame would be a lot stronger and simpler and probably in the same price range.
A fab shop should be able to roll the sheets for a fair price.

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

Here's some pics of the extrusions (at least they look like extrusions to me) - that my utility trailer is made of:

The dimension is (approximately) 6 inches wide by 1 inch thick.

Attachments

• _DSC1268a.JPG
    _DSC1268a.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 357
  • _DSC1270a.JPG
    _DSC1270a.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 387
   / Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #7  
From my previous job i know a whole bunch of bodywork suppliers here in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, but that information is of no use to you...

You best ask from a bodyworker near you, as the big firms usually dont retail...

/ Anybody know where to get aluminum extrusions? #8  
What about the aluminum planks used on boat docks. I have seen them 6 to 8 in wide and cut to whatever length. Check in your area for places that make these docks in your area. Most steel suppliers have them or can get aluminum like you want.

What about the aluminum planks used on boat docks. I have seen them 6 to 8 in wide and cut to whatever length. Check in your area for places that make these docks in your area. Most steel suppliers have them or can get aluminum like you want.

I was doing some searching for some of that stuff - it looks promising. I've got to look further at that.