Anybody planning for parades?

/ Anybody planning for parades? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I'm looking to take my Farmall in the Labor Day parade a local fire dept puts on. Once again, I will probably be towing a float with a bunch of Cub Scouts on it. I'd like to do July 4th, but the parade is a ways away, and we have family plans...

Vintage iron in a parade is pretty cool. It usually gets lots of looks and the audience likes them.

/ Anybody planning for parades? #2  
Doesn't look to be the best of weather for our area starting tomorrow am until Tuesday, /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif so we shall be spreading mulch than maybe a nice long ride on the m/c.

Robert..you indeed have a grand looking Farmall,and I'm kinda surprize you yet to have her in a county fairs..autumn days events. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Anybody planning for parades? #3  
I usually put my Antique Lawn and Garden Tractors in three local parades. The one coming up at the end of the month is the local Bass Festival where we also sponsor a Garden Tractor Pull after the parade.
Then at the end of July there is Noprthern Michigan Antique Flywheelers club which has a daily "parade" of old iron. The last is in the middle of August in a town about 70 miles away.
I am also working on a trip across Northern Lower Michigan with Antique Lawn and Garden Tractors. It would be from Lake Michigan near Atwood for 132 miles to Alpena on Lake Huron.
It would be a two day trip with an overnight stop at a little over the half way point. I have 12 guys who are interested in making the trip and now only have to find a sponsor and get the necessary permits and such.
Right now I am trying to find a sponsor that has ties along the way such as Fire Departments or Emergency Medical Service organizations. I am also contacting a few of the local Lions Clubs to see if they would be interested in lending their name to us. I would think that the drivers would be able to pick up individual sponsors on a miles traveled deal which they would donate to the sponsors based on the miles traveled between sponsors.
I started thinking about the trip after watching "The Straight Story" movie about an elderly gentleman who drove his John Deere Lawn tractor over 250 miles to visit his brother who had just suffered a stroke.
Sorry for rambling on and getting slightly off subject but this has been one of my goals for the past few years.
BTW if you haven't seen the movie I highly recommend it. It is based on a true story and took me back to a time when movies where made "for real" instead of all the computer generated garbage that passes for acting now. The only part of the movie which may have had to be "staged" is when the tracor speeds down the hill without brakes. Besides it has Sissy Spacik who is my all time favorite female actress, she is not the most glamorous one around but she seems to put her heart into everything she does. Now if she wasn't such a tree hugger in real life.
OK the rambling is over, see what happens when I get a day off.
Bill

/ Anybody planning for parades? #4  
Also we normally have about 20 of the antique and classic farm, lawn, and garden tractors (5 to 6 are ours) in the local parade but they still don't have a prize for the best one like they do the 10 or so antique and classic cars that show up.
Bill

/ Anybody planning for parades? #5  
Keep us posted would like to see this,I live in the thumb.

/ Anybody planning for parades? #6  
I"ve been asked to pull the float with all the local veterans on it with my ol' F-14 Farmall. Got her all spit-shined and ready to go. Need to check the weather for that, it's fixin' to rain today, but last I heard, tomorrow was gonna be okay.

I'll get a picture and post it if the parade comes off.

/ Anybody planning for parades? #7  
All the fellers on the float in the attached picture are WWII veterans, and a couple of them served in both WWII and Korea.

Thank you, Men.

Attachments

• 44-153381-md1s.jpg
    44-153381-md1s.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 132
   / Anybody planning for parades? #8  
Um?Ah?/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Whos driving the tractor???/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Anybody planning for parades?
That's great! It looks like it turned out well.
That's a cool tractor too...!!!

/ Anybody planning for parades? #10  
Ummmmm, would you believe remote control? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Arms ain't long enough to drive and take a picture too. Even my bifocals didn't help...