Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections?

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
In back of my garage I have a bunch of gravel and fill to level the slope the slab sits on. We would like to use that area as a patio, and wrap it around to the breezeway entrance. The wall would be at least 3' tall, and what ever needs to be below grade. This will support a sectional slab on top.

Someone.......:rolleyes: forgot to plan that pour before they had a blacktop driveway installed..(100') no way to get the truck to the pour area without driving on it..

So, I thought about carrying the concrete by the bucketful with my tractor, but unsure if that is do-able. Or.. use my mixer and make vertical sections joined by rebar.. The bars are continuous, but the pours are limited to say...6' long..on a one piece footing.. I could perhaps build a frost wall against the footing and not have to bury it 4' deep to the frostline..

I don't know about a pumper truck, how far can they reach?

Thanks!

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #2  
I have used my bucket to move concrete. You have to take it easy or it will slop out. Also wash out ASAP.

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #3  
Pumper trucks come in different sizes, I know they can reach 100'.

Carrying it in your tractor bucket can be done, but you'll never get all the concrete off afterward. Check out the rental yard, see if they have a powered wheel barrow.

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #4  
IMG_8797.jpg
From the front of the pumper truck to the far edge of the slab is around 80 feet.

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #6  
Pumper trucks come in different sizes, I know they can reach 100'.

Carrying it in your tractor bucket can be done, but you'll never get all the concrete off afterward. Check out the rental yard, see if they have a powered wheel barrow.

This one would reach 120’. I don’t remember the boom length but it was ridiculous.
IMG_1290.JPG

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #7  
In back of my garage I have a bunch of gravel and fill to level the slope the slab sits on. We would like to use that area as a patio, and wrap it around to the breezeway entrance. The wall would be at least 3' tall, and what ever needs to be below grade. This will support a sectional slab on top.

Someone.......:rolleyes: forgot to plan that pour before they had a blacktop driveway installed..(100') no way to get the truck to the pour area without driving on it..

So, I thought about carrying the concrete by the bucketful with my tractor, but unsure if that is do-able. Or.. use my mixer and make vertical sections joined by rebar.. The bars are continuous, but the pours are limited to say...6' long..on a one piece footing.. I could perhaps build a frost wall against the footing and not have to bury it 4' deep to the frostline..

I don't know about a pumper truck, how far can they reach?

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY.....have it pumped!!!

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #8  
from what you've described thats going to be a very expensive patio.......if you only have a 3' wall height why not use a retaining wall block system and pavers and completely eliminate the concrete.......Jack

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections?
Thank-you everyone! Got a better idea of what my options are now... I didn't want the blocks and pavers for the expense, and maintenance with weeds, and heaving pavers.. We have already spent more than we can sell it for, so saving some money is important.

/ Anybody pour a retaining wall in vertical sections? #10  
If you use pump for wall and patio, that is two separate rentals. I would use block to build wall and concrete buggy to pour patio