Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator?

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #1  

airbiscuit

Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
I have a Coleman 6,500 W generator that works well, but it is LOOOUD. I've looked at a couple of YouTubes on the subject, but they look like they would trap too much heat. I have some Styrofoam panels collected (from the local Sears dumpster), that I plan to use. I'm thinking about possibly constructing it with some alternating slats (to allow air flow), and having at least 6" of clearance on all sides. Maybe some 4" dryer pipe as a chimney.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I would just as soon use someone else's plans.

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #2  
I have the same issue. I run a generator at my duck lake and it's too loud. I think the enclosure needs some sort of fan.

Subscribed.

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #3  
Well first off Coleman generators were never known for being quiet. If buying a quiet genny isn't in the budget then build a 3 sided box with a roof, face the open side of the box away from you. You will be amazed at how much it will help, give yourself plenty of air space around it.
Oh, did I mention Honda generators are super quiet. I hear good things about the HF 3000 (champion?) being pretty quiet too.

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #4  
I have a three sided box with a roof. The open side of the box is the side with the muffler. The side with the outlets is 4-5 inches off the ground to allow air movement. I did it more for a icing concern for cold weather operation than sound but it did work for sound. The box works well at deflecting the sound away from the house. I have thought about putting sound damping insulation like the insulation used in boat engine compartments but never did.

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #5  
I once used a Briggs and Straton genny that was just too noisy.
I extended the exhaust by adding some pipe and elbow and placed the factory muffler at the end.
I directed the piped extension into a hole in the ground (about a 5 gal bucket sized hole).
The soil muffled the sound with surprising results, so much so that the clacking valves was the predominant noise.

Another trick that is effective is a plywood box lined with old carpeting but heat has to be dealt with but a computer 'muffin fan' or fans is very effective to move air all while drawing minimal current.
Extending muffler piping with water pipe on some smaller engines helps but one has to be careful not to create back pressure.
Pipe is heavy as compared to thin tin and absorbs sound effectively.

/ Anyone built a Quiet Box for their Generator? #6  
I had a Lincoln welder/generator that had a Kohler 10HP "K" engine on it.
The machine was deafening!!
I went and bought a muffler at the local auto parts store, and installed it.
I asked the salesman for the smallest muffler, some import had a notoriously small muffler.

That muffler addition made the unit sound more like an electric motor, than a gas generator.
The loudest individual noise was the clatter of the solid lifters that operated the intake/exhaust valves.

Try a muffler upgrade.