Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Challenger MT535B, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
Not 100% for that reason, but partly?
I have an ideal firewood spot, a 16’x24’ concrete pad I poured years ago. I could split wood on it. Have a friend that will sell me as many rounds as I want.
Quick backround: I grew up in a house heated primarily with firewood wood and backed up with oil furnace. My dad and I would split 15 cords a year or more. Between firewood and hay bales, I developed a really strong shoulders and arms.
Well, now the bales are handled by tractor. I have lifted weights to supplement, but I’m bored with that. Rather be outside. My wife says jokingly “you live outside” (probably helps our marriage lol). Cant stand being cooped up inside.
Anyway, I was curious if anyone else chopped wood not just for firewood or profit, but for healthy exercise?

Last edited:

DIYOrangeDave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
I don’t chop wood but make firewood from 8’ lengths delivered. My activities are getting limited due to age and interest but making my own firewood and handling it are one of my forms of exercise. It heats me many times. When I cut it, split it, pile it (in Holz Hausens) to dry and then move it in to my double bin (each holds 1 Holz Hausen) woodshed attached to my house and then lastly moved into the wood boxes in the house awaiting the stoves. I burn 6-8 cord per year. A lot of work when you consider what is involved with just burning oil. I look forward to each stage. As my wood is delivered a year in advance of processing, it has a lovely melodic sound when bouncing off of the other pieces. Most importantly of course it that there is no other source that heats like wood. Happy burning!

OP
Hay Dude

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Challenger MT535B, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
My plan is to chop it for the love of outdoor exercise and sell by the 1/4-1/2-1 cord to neighbors for walking around money or for the kids. I will burn some in my FP as well.
Im not trying to supplement, my income or anything more than a hobby to pay some costs back to me and reliving my past.
1.Outdoor Exercise
2.Fun
3.Hobby
4.maybe a few bucks

Last edited:

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
Selling it seemed like a losing deal to me. For me it would pay about 5 to 10 bucks an hour. I used to split with a maul but my shoulder wouldn’t take it so I have a small gas engine splitter now. I have a fireplace so I burn what I process. Do I enjoy it? Now that I’m retired I like it a lot more.

Exercise? It’s a good calorie burner but can be hard on the body. I’m 59 and can do it for a few hours a day.

rademamj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 SEHC, Kubota GR2120, Gravely Proturn 460
I think that's a wonderful idea. Just practice good safety and start slowly, increasing the work load over time. Good health is a worthwhile time investment.

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
I cut with handsaw and split by hand 2-3 cords per year. Not for exercise though. I find it is very limited in what it does for me as far as exercise. I ride a stationary bike for aerobic exercise and use my Total Gym for lifting.

Cutting and splitting does burn calories, but i find it not good exercise.

Doughknob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
Selling it seemed like a losing deal to me. For me it would pay about 5 to 10 bucks an hour. I used to split with a maul but my shoulder wouldn’t take it so I have a small gas engine splitter now. I have a fireplace so I burn what I process. Do I enjoy it? Now that I’m retired I like it a lot more.

Exercise? It’s a good calorie burner but can be hard on the body. I’m 59 and can do it for a few hours a day.
Ha, just posted similar! And my right shoulder is going too. Before long i wont be able to do it by hand any more either.

OP
Hay Dude

Hay Dude

Tractor
Both my shoulders arthritic from small bales. Don’t know if it’ll make them worse or not.

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
About 65% of my heat is with wood. I go through 6-7 cords a year so my objective was to reduce the amount of work I needed to do. I am 70.

I stopped hand splitting about 10 years ago. Last year I sold the logs splitter and now use a rented processor.

I began supplementing my harvested wood with purchased logs 8 years ago and last year stopped harvesting wood. Logs are handled with a grapple. Easy-peasy

My current method is more expensive ($120/cord) but much easier. We can process 6-7 cords and stack it in IBC totes in about 18 hours. We only handle splits twice...once to stack in the totes and once to carry into the house.

I will leave the excursive to you young guys.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Quit burning firewood in '92. Ten years. Not because of my health - it was simply dragging too much volcanic ash into the house. Get more than enough ash in the house by all the other means.