Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year?

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
In the evening, we have "flocks" of 50 - 100 dragonflies buzzing and bugging around the yard. They stay in a group that slowly moves around the yard or garden area. Last evening we had a camp fire next to our garden and they covered the garden, staying almost entirely within the limits of the garden 'footprint' for a couple hours until it was dark outside. The Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows are usually flying similar patterns with the dragonflies, but not last night since they were flying low and through the plants. Last week there was such a large number of the dragonflies flying over a section of red clover I could see them from over a hundred yards away. I don't ever remember seeing more than 5 or 10 at a time before this year. We have no ponds within half mile of us, but do have a small stream on the property.
Does anyone else have a large number of them this year? They are fun to observe.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #3  
Tons of them - this year I watched a bunch of them hovering over flying ants on a bush -- as soon as a flying ant would take off it would be snatched by a dragonfly - amazing --never saw that before:eek:

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #4  
Yeah, we have a lot of them. Never seen so many before.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #5  
Yep here in Pa to. Other night we went for a ride on our new land, an showing my wife my progress with brush hogging a grown up field. There were so many flying around I was suprised also. No ponds just small stream.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #6  
We have a goodly number, probably 10%-20% above average. This evening just at dusk, they were out in the clearing around the house. Everywhere I looked, I could see them buzzing around.

It's about the same time of day the mosquitoes come out, we've had some rain recently, so I suppose we have a new crop of mosquitoes for the dragonflies to eat.

Dave.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #7  
Got several here to. At work theres a silt catchment on the other end of the cell. Got a ton of them right now funny thing is that I got a 40 yard Can of styrofoam milling at work. I was spreading them with the D5B and its fan was pushing them out about 35 feet in the air. THe DFs were grabbing them and then dropping them.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #8  
A ton here too, but whats funny is the gypsie moths caterpillers were not bad and I forgot to put out my japanes bettle trap and they were not bad here this year.

/ Anyone else have a lot of Dragonflies this year? #9  
We have a bunch of them this year too. We have 4- 3 month old kittens and they love to run after them and try to catch them.

3 boys and 1 girl. My mom was insisting on finding 3 of them a home. But nope dad talked her into keeping all of them. :laughing:

They were born in my mom and dads closet. Dads got a big dog named Sam. I think he's a golden retriever. While the cat was pregnant with the kittens he would always go over to her and sniff her belly. He'd do that everyday.

And when the kittens were born he'd always have to go check on them.

All the kittens now sleep with my mom and dad as does the dog. The kittens will snuggle up with Sam. He's pretty protective of those kittens. lol

Chad