Anyone had this happen before?

/ Anyone had this happen before? #1  

John in the UP

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 John Deere 4066R Snow Cab
Looking for ideas on where to start looking. Tractor is a JD 3720 e-hydro, about 350 hours. Here's what happened:

Was blowing snow with JD 59" snow blower.
Tractor was running 2500/2600 rpm range.
Tractor and blower running normal, moving forward about 1.3 mph according to the digital display.
I felt what I perceived as a slight bump, and tractor stopped - I did NOT take my foot off the go pedal.
Checked the digital display, no error codes showing, but although machine was stopped, display was still displaying speed ~0.3 mph.
Engine rpm did not change (25/2600 rpm), but tachometer was now reading 500/600 rpm.
The machine would not move Forward or Reverse (yes I activated RIO before stepping on Reverse pedal), so I idled it down and turned off the PTO.
After a moment, the tach reacted, and started reading about 1000 rpm.
Stepped on the Forward pedal and moved. Then stepped on the Reverse pedal and moved backwards.

Turned on the PTO and resumed snow blowing operations, and a short time later it did the same thing again.
In the 2-1/2 hours I was clearing snow, it did this probably 8 times total.

My initial guess is a sensor problem. I do most of the normal maintenance, but I have limited experience with repairing this kind of drive problem.

Thanks...

/ Anyone had this happen before? #2  
On my 3520 with the 59" front mounted snowblower, I had this exact thing happen -it was the Alternator belt slipping from the fine snow powder getting in through the front and side grill areas. I lined this with cardboard and solved 2 problems - the Alt belt stopped slipping, and the air cleaner stopped filling up with snow.

/ Anyone had this happen before?
Interesting. Never would have thought about that. Did your tachometer do the same thing too?

Also posted on another board. Some one there suggested fine snow getting into the pedal rheostats.

I had other work to do so I turned on the heat in the garage for a couple of days. Lots of snow melted off the front of the tractor. When I opened the hood, a bunch of ice packed into the intercooler and between the radiator as well.

After last night痴 storm went out to clear snow and with everything on the tractor dried out, the tractor operated flawlessly.

I think I値l consider that cardboard idea. Thanks for the feedback.

/ Anyone had this happen before? #4  
Yes - the Tach when low, engine kept running - the tip off was all the work lights dimmed as well.

I also found the Alternator belt was just a bit loose too, but as you found - the snow really packs itself in. (check that air filter too)

Kept dry, tight and a little bit of the spray on belt anti-slip, and no more issues, even at -20 with snow blowing everywhere.

I never noticed the lights going dim as I was clearing snow in daylight. Will check belt tension and pick up some belt dressing. I am aware of snow getting into the air filter.

Thanks again for the follow up!

To follow up, checked the alternator belt and yes it was loose. Made some adjustments, a little belt dressing and masked off the grill to try to minimize blowing snow getting into the front of the tractor/getting the belt wet.

Went out during the last storm a few weeks back, powdery snow blowing everywhere with the wind - tractor and snowblower ran absolutely perfect, no issues at all. Checked the front end of the tractor afterwards and no snow packed in anywhere, not even the air filter.

So should any of you JD 3x20 owners should experience this problem, check the items previously discussed in this thread.

And finally thanks to tvtegtmeier for the info.

/ Anyone had this happen before? #7  
Thanks for the update. That will help people searching for this issue in the future.

Love to hear it when someone has an oddball problem, seeks and finds help on the forum.