Anyone have a Yamaha Terrapro?

BTackett

Gold Member
I am looking into a four wheeler for around the farm, property and could use the 3pt and PTO for other things. Just wanting to know if anyone has one and what you do with it. Pictures ! Pictures!

thanks,
Bill

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I used to sell them. they have limited PTO power. The finishing mower worked better than the shredder that they offered. I think due to the higher blade speed with smaller blades.

It would work much better nowadays with the bigger engines offered and liquid cooling.

What would you want to put behind one?

OP
BTackett

BTackett

Gold Member
Probably a small finish mower for rough grass, adapt a small tiller, maybe a plow/disc. I guess this little unit would handle those attachments?

Bill

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
They only made them for one year. I had one for about 5 years and it was great. The PTO finish mower on the back was a Woods 4' finish mower with a 2 pt. hookup to the Terrapro. It was by far the best riding mowing machine I've ever been on. Take the mower off the back, pull two pins, and it made a great 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler to boot. The only downside was that the 350cc engine lacked a bit of power for mowing if you let the grass get too high. I think I recall the manual saying that it only put out about 14 PTO hp. If they made one of those in a big bore, like my 750 KingQuad, in 4X4 I think it would be awesome! It make a joke of the Swisher pull behind finish mower I tried before buying the Yamaha Terrapro. Besides doing a rather poor job, the engines on the Swisher never seemed to even last one full season before being completely shot. Swisher blamed it on running in dirty air all the time. Duh!

TOMMYHPX4X4

Veteran Member
Tractor
gator hpx 4x4
your right dargo with the big bore quads they have today a pto would work good. my alternator kit i bought for my hpx had a adaptor for something to mount to the flywheel to run something else like a pump or something maybe sisne i don't run it in the mud anymore i should look into making a pto for it. and putting my alternator back on it too i miss all that power i had.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Another big plus if they did it now with a bigger engine would be the water cooled engine. The terrapro's were just underpowered IMHO.

Dargo, the "rough" cutter they sold did not work as well as the finish cutter on the grasses I tried to cut. It just didn't have the ooomph. The finish mower would cut thru the same grass.

If I remember right, they were sold in 1985. I'm thinking the price with a cutter was nearly $5000 back then. I didn't have a clue about farm use of ATV's except that farmer's used them to get around. One phenomona that happened, when the smaller tank 12V sprayers got popular, I know many farmers bought ATV's just to spot spray and ended up telling me they didn't know how they ever got along without one.

cmhowey2631

I love mine, worked great today, the drag link broke on my john deere mower, so I just used the terrapro to finish mowing. Here is a attached pic, I have taken good care of it.

Attachments

• 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 11,234
  • 100_2631.jpg
    100_2631.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 16,080

banker2know

Do you know where I can get some parts for my Terrapro. I need a hi/low/reverse shifter cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
I love mine, worked great today, the drag link broke on my john deere mower, so I just used the terrapro to finish mowing. Here is a attached pic, I have taken good care of it.

Holy cow is that nice...You took care of it, that's an understatement:thumbsup:

What year is that?

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
Holy cow is that nice...You took care of it, that's an understatement:thumbsup:

What year is that?

I'd say that is a nice one! Probably one of the nicest left. They only made them 1 year, 1988. However, some refer to them as 1989 models. I loved mine and it made a very capable ATV with the mower off. With the mower on it did great unless I let the grass get too tall or if it was wet and thick. I think the PTO hp was somewhere around 14 hp. I'd love to see them come out with the same thing again with a big bore engine!

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
I'd say that is a nice one! Probably one of the nicest left. They only made them 1 year, 1988. However, some refer to them as 1989 models. I loved mine and it made a very capable ATV with the mower off. With the mower on it did great unless I let the grass get too tall or if it was wet and thick. I think the PTO hp was somewhere around 14 hp. I'd love to see them come out with the same thing again with a big bore engine!

I have an affinity for classic cars et.al....Having something like that, in that condition, is an accomplishment regardless of it's utility against the modern stuff...There are 2 month old quads around here that don't look that nice..

Sounds like the PTO was a good idea for the time period...The Cadillac V8,6,4 was ahead of it's time too...Look around now. Once the technology catches up, look out..Someone should retry this today.

I like it.:D

2fast2

Silver Member
Chris, taking good care of it is an understatement. Do you ever use it? There aren't even grass clippings in the discharge of the mower. The only thing that makes it look other than brand new are the wheels of the mower unit which appear to have rust or discoloration. Even the ATV tires are so clean they don't even have dirt on them.
That machine belongs in parades or on display in a museum! Like Tim said, it is a real beauty to people like us who enjoy vintage autos and machinery.
Wow.

cmhowey2631

Yes, I do use it, I do alot of riding, when I am done, I clean it up. Not sure why the one wheel on the mower rusted like it did, will get a can of paint. Everybody tell me I clean too much, even the grass that sticks to the deck.

Attachments

• 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 550

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420

I fully agree Dargo. With the size of engines they are putting in these things these days, along with liquid cooling, they could really improve the overall experience. When I used to sell them, Yamaha was really hoping they'd "take off" and sell like hot cakes. I can't remember exactly but they were pricey and so were the Woods made implements. I remember the finish mower being the better choice over the shredder. I also remember wishing it had another 10 Hp or so.

Baucom

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 2823
I'd sell my mower and buy something like that in a heartbeat if they'd build a modern version on a 700cc+ 4x4 atv. And that's one clean, well cared for, Terrapro in the pics.

suprasonic

Tractor
john deere
I got 2 Yamaha Terrapro atv and 1 finishing mower i'm planning on getting rid of. Thay are not running because of being sittting up for a few years. Everything is still there nothing missing.

signsbydebbie

Tractor
Yamaha Terra Pro
I got 2 Yamaha Terrapro atv and 1 finishing mower i'm planning on getting rid of. Thay are not running because of being sittting up for a few years. Everything is still there nothing missing.

Do tell the location of these terrapros? :licking:

signsbydebbie

Tractor
Yamaha Terra Pro
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Close enough, I'm in Lufkin Tx ......

have they been under water?

I may be ready to help you get them out of your way.... imagine the room you'll have!

btw I have a sign shop, need any signs?

suprasonic

Tractor
john deere
No they never been under water. I don't think I need any signs.

signsbydebbie

Tractor
Yamaha Terra Pro
No they never been under water. I don't think I need any signs.

I have a pair of these in great shape and I would love to have a couple more and another mower would be great. So I would love to see some pics and try to do some trade'n.

suprasonic

Tractor
john deere
I don't know how to insert a picture on here. Leave your email address and i can send you some pictures. Thanks.

adjusterr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500 & 1010 John Deere
I'm glad to see there are still a few Yamaha Haulers still out there. I have a Yamaha Pro-Hauler, bought new probably 20 plus years ago. One of the most used and useful machines I have. The Pro-Hauler was very similar to the Terra-Pro but had no PTO, it had a stake body bed, 2 wheel drive with high/low range and lockable differential, still running on the same sparkplug with nothing but oil changes. Because of the long wheelbase it will haul anything you can pile on the bed with no front end lift. Like others, I wish some of the Brains at Yamaha etc, would again build these useful units. I recently priced a Yamaha Rhino, I could buy a nice used Jeep for less.

CrownHawg

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Wow! I just stumbled on this thread. I have had my Terrapro for about 20 years as well. I don't have a finish mower, but I do have the RC48 bushog, and for a small unit, it will hack a 2 inch tree down! I'd love to find a finish mower but have never found one. As for using it as a 4-wheeler, I never thought it did well since it was so short and heavy! I always ended up getting stuck and just opted to use my others.

signsbydebbie

Tractor
Yamaha Terra Pro
I don't know how to insert a picture on here. Leave your email address and i can send you some pictures. Thanks.

Sweet.. send images to alan (at) signsbydebbie.com , no spaces- regular @ sign.

Thanks....

2bugtony

Hello all
I have a Terrapro with the RC-42 brush hog and was wondering what it would be worth. I've been try to find something to go buy but nothing. The one I got runs like a top. I use it to mow around my house.
Thinks for you help.

Dargo

Tractor
Hello all
I have a Terrapro with the RC-42 brush hog and was wondering what it would be worth. I've been try to find something to go buy but nothing. The one I got runs like a top. I use it to mow around my house.
Thinks for you help.

I think I got $3200 out of mine several years ago. The only real issue is their age and parts availability since they were only made one year. The other reasonable concern for someone is that they only put out 14 hp. If I skipped a week mowing, I could forget using the Terrapro to mow. It just didn't have the power. As a 4 wheeler, they were limited since they were all 2 wheel drive. If you could easily drop a fuel injected 800cc engine in one, I'd love to have one again for mowing since they ride better than any other lawn mower. Good luck selling yours!

2bugtony

Thanks.
I think that I will get some pictures of mine and try and put in the classifieds here. Is that Possible? I'm new here and I'm trying to get this stuff right
Thanks

jclawson

Tractor
terrapro
Anyone seen or have a Terrapro tiller attachment? (RT-38) call 2816501537 or send me a note. Thanks!!

Attachments

• rt38.jpg
    rt38.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 3,591

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
That's a rare bird. I believe it is probably made by Woods, as were the other attachments.

They should bring back something like a Terrapro with liquid cooling, but it probably has too much liability.

Flybrian1950

Tractor
International Hydro84
Agree they should bring the Terra Pro back in a version like the Pro Hauler.

I have recenly acquired two operational Terra Pro's, a third parts machine, and have found two more complete machines that need a little help.

I also acquired a 100 Gallon Sprayer, two RC-42 mowers and two FM-48 mowers.

I'm working on parts for two of the mowers now from Woods and Yamaha.

I'm having one complete driveshaft and two outer driveshaft halves built to factory specs, including the plastic PTO covers (these apparently get lost?? and are no longer available from Yamaha or Woods). I'll be posting the drive shafts on E-bay for sale, once I get a price from the driveline shop.

If any one is interested, I'll be selling two Terra Pro's with your choice of a RC-42" or a FM-48" mower.

I'm retired, and do some hay farming, so I use the Terra Pro & RC-42 to mow around the hay fields, and the sprayer to get on the wet ground that a tractor would sink into.

Billnye

Tractor
87 Yamaha Terrapro
I just bought a nice terrapro with an rc-42 mower for $500. The machine starts on the first try every time and the mower works very well. I feel like I got a fantastic deal on the pair! Only problem is that the mower was advertised as a finish mower before I bought them. I know very few people are interested in selling their fm-48 but I am willing to trade my rc for an fm and/or negotiate a price. Flybrian, im also interested in your sprayer if it is for sale and operational. Either way, I'm very happy to join the terrapro family!

Flybrian1950

Tractor
International Hydro84
Thanks for the reply. You got a great deal!

I have acquired two each of the FM-48 and RC42 mowers, two were limping.
I'm not interested in the trade.
I expect to purchase another pair of Terrapro's locally and will be keeping the two best 4 wheelers and best FM48 and RC42 mower and the sprayer for use on the farm.
The other two 4 wheelers and mowers will be available in a package deal after they are put into fully operational condition (carb overhauls, and a PTO for one. The first buyer will get choice on the mower they want. Price will be around $2000 for a 4x4 and one mower.

I have a complete PTO drive shaft and ccomponents available for anyone who needs one, and More can be built. It isn't cheap, but $500 got me three rebuilt half shafts and one complete driveline. I can provide the front shaft that goes into the PTO, or the rear half for the mower. Woods no longer makes the half shaft components, and they want $400 for a complete replacement driveline. I'll have prices as soon as I can decipher the billing. Flybrian1950

adjusterr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500 & 1010 John Deere
I have a Yamaha Pro-Hauler, kinda the cousin of the Terra-Pro, no PTO, just a 4 wheeler with a stake body. I bought it new and it has been a real workhorse with no problems. Only two wheel drive but has high/low range and a manual differential lock. with a load on the bed it will go about anywhere. I'll be lost when it wears out, thge new Pro-Hauler is nothing close to this one.DSCF1084 (676 x 507).jpg

SKIDOZER

Check out pro man pto
The guy sells a pro kit for atv's
Brush hogs and mowers

connerblake2008

Tractor
yamaha terrapro
Agree they should bring the Terra Pro back in a version like the Pro Hauler.

I have recenly acquired two operational Terra Pro's, a third parts machine, and have found two more complete machines that need a little help.

I also acquired a 100 Gallon Sprayer, two RC-42 mowers and two FM-48 mowers.

I'm having one complete driveshaft and two outer driveshaft halves built to factory specs, including the plastic PTO covers (these apparently get lost?? and are no longer available from Yamaha or Woods). I'll be posting the drive shafts on E-bay for sale, once I get a price from the driveline shop.

If any one is interested, I'll be selling two Terra Pro's with your choice of a RC-42" or a FM-48" mower.

I'm retired, and do some hay farming, so I use the Terra Pro & RC-42 to mow around the hay fields, and the sprayer to get on the wet ground that a tractor would sink into.
I have recently bought a yamaha terrapro and need a good seat pan or a complete seat assembly . Do you have one for sale ? Let me know . Thanks , Blair

cblad

Tractor
Yamaha Terra Pro

Do you still have a driveshaft to sell?

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
I'm going to bring this thread up from the dead. I feel there may be interest in this with exchange of ideas and resources. There are still highly sought after but finding parts can be difficult.

Flybrian1950

Tractor
International Hydro84
I'm going to bring this thread up from the dead. I feel there may be interest in this with exchange of ideas and resources. There are still highly sought after but finding parts can be difficult.

i'm looking at several Terrapros for sale, one with a mower here in Oregon.
I have found a knowledgeable repairman over in Joseph Oregon as well as several local machines in regular use.
I was able to acquire a complete tiller, which I have mounted on my machine.
I know of two after market snow plows, I have one and a second is available in the area.

Parts are a challenge. Hope to here more from other terrapro owners. Brian

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
That's great I too have the TC-38 tiller. I haven't had the time due to the weather to check it out but it does spin freely. At one point in it's life someone replaced the accuator that raises and lowers the tiller with a 12DC winch.

I've found several on ebay for sale I just need to know the extension length it will need plus the length of the accuator itself.

View attachment 359903

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
i'm looking at several Terrapros for sale, one with a mower here in Oregon. I have found a knowledgeable repairman over in Joseph Oregon as well as several local machines in regular use. I was able to acquire a complete tiller, which I have mounted on my machine. I know of two after market snow plows, I have one and a second is available in the area. Parts are a challenge. Hope to here more from other terrapro owners. Brian
Brian, did you get the rack and suitcase weights with that TC-38? Assuming you got the rear rack mounted power switch with it.

Terrapro88

Tractor
1988 Yamaha Terrapro
Brian, did you get the rack and suitcase weights with that TC-38? Assuming you got the rear rack mounted power switch with it.

Hi all!

I have two Terrapro's. I am restoring one now and using the other. The one I am restoring was used for a couple years and then was parked in a storage garage and not used for the next 22 years. It came with almost every piece of equipment that was made for it. Even the equipment was hardly used.

I have been trying to find the suitcase weights to go along with the RT38. Used the RT38 last spring until I hit a huge rock that stopped the tines, which broke both the PTO belts....

Also, I still need to find the cap that goes over the PTO and would really like to have the post hole digger/auger to use with the hydro unit. The guy I got if from said it came with the auger, but he had to give it to the guy that helped him go and pick all of it up. The guy was going to try and use it with his bobcat.... If that ever happened, I am sure it was quickly destroyed....

Michael

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
Those would be difficult to locate Michael. I have the bracket on the front of the latest TP I acquired out of west Tennessee. The owner (not original) thought the bracket was for a removable winch. Hahahaha. I've been looking into suitcase weights. The closest match would be from a John Deer dealership for their minni tractors. They look very similar is size and weight about 40 pounds each. I need to replace the accuator on my TC38.

Do you have a service manual for your Terrapro?

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
Hi all!

I have two Terrapro's. I am restoring one now and using the other. The one I am restoring was used for a couple years and then was parked in a storage garage and not used for the next 22 years. It came with almost every piece of equipment that was made for it. Even the equipment was hardly used.

I have been trying to find the suitcase weights to go along with the RT38. Used the RT38 last spring until I hit a huge rock that stopped the tines, which broke both the PTO belts....

Also, I still need to find the cap that goes over the PTO and would really like to have the post hole digger/auger to use with the hydro unit. The guy I got if from said it came with the auger, but he had to give it to the guy that helped him go and pick all of it up. The guy was going to try and use it with his bobcat.... If that ever happened, I am sure it was quickly destroyed....

Michael

When you say PTO cover. Are you talking about the dust cover that goes over the PTO output fitting. When you talk about belts. Are you speaking of the PTO belts on the Terrapro? They are an in stock part. Pricey but in stock. I saw a set on eBay for sale.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I think many of the implements were made by Woods. Maybe you can check with them for parts?