Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #1  

flashpuppy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 Kubota SVL75-2
I have a Maple I have been thinking about cutting. The Missus would like a kitchen table from it.

How does a log that is this burled mill out? Do the slabs look good? I have heard there is actually money in burls but I am skeptical. Is there some value in a tree like this?

phCEfRq.jpg

aNcbkLm.jpg

iqmWgeO.jpg

Last edited:
   / Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #2  
Do you know what kind of Maple you have? Silver or Red Maple aren't worth much. Sugar Maple, maybe if it is curly or birdseye.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice.
Do you know what kind of Maple you have? Silver or Red Maple aren't worth much. Sugar Maple, maybe if it is curly or birdseye.

I think it is a Red maple, but I am not positive. I will try to get down to it tomorrow with a field guide and see if I can ID it for sure.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #4  
Bigger issue is if it's solid all through or partially bug eaten.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice.
Bigger issue is if it's solid all through or partially bug eaten.

I actually believe this one is totally solid. I have a couple more that look similar to this one. One of them is missing half the trunk, another is fairly hollow. This one seems to be solid and definitely looked healthy last fall.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #6  
Are you thinking of selling it? I doubt you would get much for it. Most birds eye maple goes for $4-5/bf retail. IN the raw like that, you would be lucky to get $0.50/bf.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #7  
If you do slab it you should rip it into about 6-8" strips and reverse alernate strips and join to prevent bowing.
A solid top is almost guaranteed to bow as humidity increases and decreases.
I have made benchtops this way and biscuit join and glue with titebond although there other good glues.
Don't like ordinary PVA as it creeps so stay with a good cross linked 'yellow' glue.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #8  
Are you asking about how do the burls effect the grain? I’ve never cut a board from a tree with them, but my understanding is they are a surface bark thing, an outgrowth. I’d be surprised if the boards from the center would show they existed. Maybe somebody knows better.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #9  
Here is a site that will have any and all the information you need.-
Forestryforum.com
You can even find a local to saw it for you.

/ Anyone here a woodworker or have some experience milling logs? Need some advice. #10  
To me that looks like a silver maple Silver Maple - Acer saccharinum Looking at the picture I don't think that you would have much luck . Looking at the picture I don't think that you would have much luck getting lumber out of it, but I could be wrong.