Anyone w/experience on a backhoe or excavator, how does it compare to the mini hoe?

/ Anyone w/experience on a backhoe or excavator, how does it compare to the mini hoe? #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
I have a Kubota excavator that doesn't get used all that much and I could sell it to buy a diesel PT w.mini hoe. I know there is no comparison for all out performance when comparing it to a PT, but has anyone that regularly runs construction equipment have a PT mini hoe combination? How do you like operating it?

/ Anyone w/experience on a backhoe or excavator, how does it compare to the mini hoe? #2  
Well, I have a Takeuchi TB240 and a PT-425 with mini hoe. However, I've never used the mini hoe to dig. And, I wouldn't use it to dig anything but a very simple project. Due to the extension of the hoe, it puts too much pressure on the lift arms. After using a mini-X, I think you'd hate the mini hoe. I bought it used for the sole purpose of holding small logs in the air to saw up for firewood.

I obviously don't know your needs, but you might also consider a tow behind digger. They're often used by Power companies. You can find them for around $4K+ used. They are self propelled and work like a zero turn mower. I have one call a "Dig-It" (search Google for "dig it backhoe"). They are MUCH faster than a standard backhoe attachment on a tractor. And they have a lot more power than you'd think. When through digging, you attach it to your truck in less than a minute and tow it to the next job. If you were closer, I'd make you a deal on mine since I use the mini-x exclusively now.

/ Anyone w/experience on a backhoe or excavator, how does it compare to the mini hoe?
Thanks for the info. I kind of thought that was going to be the answer but wanted to hear it from an owner. I have a John Deere 310D for real work but my property has a million bowling ball+ size rocks that are everywhere and the JD is too clumsy. The mini excavator tears up the grass/ground no matter how gradual I try to turn so it sits more then its used and I could probably sell it and buy a PT1430 with attachments that I would use more. The next time I head down to Tazewell I will look you up and see if you still have it.