Arthritis?

/ Arthritis? #1  

Nat

Platinum Member
Does anyone have Rheumatoid Arthritis? I went for years having arthritis and the associated pain, taking asprins till my ears would ring. Some days it wasn't any problem and then on others I didn't even want to move. I sorta figured I learn to live with it. I also Have torn the rotator cuff in both shoulders and didn't have the repair done till there was nothing left to repair.
I went to a different Dr. a while back and he said I had rheumatiod arthritis, he said my auto imune system was fighting the arthritis and causing inflamation in the joits and started me on Plaquenil. I would have never believed that it would be that much better in my life. I take 2 pills before bed and most of the inflamation never starts.. If you have arthritis and think you just have to live with it have your Dr do a blood test for rheumatoid factor. It may prove to be a good thing. Later, Nat

/ Arthritis? #2  
I was diagnosed with RA when I was 20 (and am now 46). I'm surprised you are getting Plaquinil since that is not considered to be one of the more effective treatments. The current train of thought is typically to start people on Methotrexate, or a combination of Methotrexate & one of the weekly injection drugs like Embril.

I do, however, totally agree with you on going to the doctor and asking for a RA factor test. But I would suggest that the best doctors to treat RA are not the normal GPs. Normal a regular family doctor will treat the symptoms and try to manage the pain. The regular MDs are not up on the specific treatments available (I'm not saying they are bad, just saying that many of them are not up on specific treatments) Go to a Rheumatologist. RA is a very debilitating disease and while there is no cure, IF IT IS AGGRESSIVELY treated and monitored, you can live a reasonably pain free reasonably normal life.

JMO

/ Arthritis?
Bob , I had to have some sort of a liver test and they didn't want me to take the Methotrexate. I didn't know there was such a thing as a rheumotoligst, but will certainly check and see if there is one around. Thans for the info. Later, Nat

/ Arthritis? #4  
Yes, Methotrexate does require normal liver function, I also have chest x-rays on an annual basis as well as it can affect the lungs. There are other treatments as well. In any case, I'd seek out a Rheumatologist in your area for further treatment simply because you want to do what you can do to arrest the progress of the disease. It can not be reversed so any damage to your joints is damage that won't heal or repair. However, its progress can often be stopped so no further joint damage occurs. Further, the occasional flair ups that create pain can also be minimized and often eliminated. With proper medications you may see your arthritis go into remission. It never goes away, but it can often be stopped and held in check.

/ Arthritis? #5  
I have it too. I have pain every day in most of my joints. But, flare ups, where the pain is bad, can last from one day to weeks to months. Aside from the joint inflammation, I also get inflammation in organs, which can cause abdominal pain, kidney damage, etc.

A rheumatologist specializes in auto immune disorders and arthritis. The problem is there are so few of them and it can take 3 months to get into one for the first time. 5000 rheumatologist and 20 million Americans with arthritis. And the number of doctors is going down as they retire and the number of people with arthritis is rising. Why aren't people going into rheumatology? Once they complete medical school they have to specialize in internal medicine and then specialize in rheumatology. They are in school forever and of course that isn't cheap. If you can get into one, I would recommend it. Even if he/she can't keep you as an established patient due to the large number of patients he/she already has, hopefully they can advise your regular physician in your care.

If there are any local support groups you can join that can be helpful for your emotional well being. You will find other people just plain don't understand how crummy you feel sometimes. They hear "arthritis" and think a bad knee. But, in actuality it is 2 bad knees, 2 bad hips, 2 bad ankles, 2 bad hands, etc! Not to mention having a fever, rashes, and just plain feeling miserable all over. Or, they see your rashes and red swollen joints and think you are contagious.

One thing I will add, is try not to give up activities you love. I had stopped playing guitar for a couple years, which was always important to me. I am happier playing again than when I wasn't. Somedays I pick one up and things just don't go well, but I put it back before I get frustrated and there is tomorrow to play again. I have discovered that the pain level is not necessarily related to how well I can play. I can have a lot of pain and play as well as I always could and other days the pain is not so bad but I play badly. But, if you give up the things that are important to you, you will get depressed. And if you are depressed over it now you will just feel worse.

Good luck to you, there are a few of us who understand.

/ Arthritis? #6  
PHP:
Good luck to you, there are a few of us who understand.

You may be surprized.

/ Arthritis?
Egon, don't all that cold weather make stuff hurt? When I was a little younger my FIL always said if you saw Nat with long sleeves on to go get all the clothes you had and put them on cause it would be freezing. Now I don't go outside if the winter without my coat cause it makes my shoulders and hands hurt like Well you know. I just thought it was a " getting older" thing. It got down to 30 degrees this morning and I'm staying inside, and I've seen pics of you working outside sawing boards with 3' of snow around you in a flannel shirt. Explain that one.
I guess you are right more people ' if they really know you do understand. Later, Nat

/ Arthritis? #8  
I'm only 27 and I get arthritis in my toes, fingers and sometimes wrists. I've been to the useless doctor, had xrays and blood tests.

xrays showed the joints are inflammed. Thanks, I already knew that!
Blood tests didn't show the cause, and since it comes and goes the doctor said don't worry unless it gets worse, and theres not much more they can do.

What do we pay them for again? :mad:

Cran

/ Arthritis? #9  
It can take years to get diagnosed. There are no specific tests for RA and related disorders. Very frustrating for us, the patients, but probably for the doctors, too. Bear in mind with RA, 80-85% of patients will eventually have a positive Rh factor. Eventually. And that means 15-20% never will. All of the autoimmune disorders are like this, no definitive tests. My Lyme disease test was inconclusive as well (not positive and not negative). Hang in there and push the blood tests every 6 months or so. I have read several times that it takes 4 years on average for a diagnosis. I took longer than that. Hopefully, you will be diagnosed sooner.

/ Arthritis? #10  
Nat:

Outside in +/- 5C with the sun shinning and no wind can be quite comfortable. :D

If one is doing physical labour there are usually no problems keeping warm outside. Just make sure your feet are warm and the Pate is covered. One must wear clothing that allows evaporation. Avoid cotton socks and other cotton items that can become sweat saturated and then freeze.

I could also go into a diatribe obout Gortex and cold weather.

It's the wind that gets you.