As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
Balance becomes critical Not merely strength but balance.
It seems sometime in our sixth-decade balance becomes harder

People past 60 who can't stand on one leg for a full minute are more likely to die within 10 years a study finds https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2022/06/22/bjsports-2021-105360

Checking one's balance is quite important Mortality From Falls Among US Adults Aged 75 Years or Older, 2000-2016

People who can't get up from sitting on the floor without using their hands can be at a mortality risk within six years
Simple sitting test predicts longevity a

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #3  
I THINK (can't remember for sure) that I could do all those things just fine when I was 60. But now that I'm 82 . . . . Well, my balance ain't so good anymore.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #4  
I never like taking any test. So far I ain't fallen down. Standing on one leg does sound like a fun game however....Maybe when i get to 100 I'll try it.

Cheers,
Mike

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #5  
ok. So I am 60 and both achilles tendons are torn, I have broken a vertebrae and have several other back problems. The pain is constant.
I have not been able to stand on one foot for a minute for a decade. So I guess I am dead.
should I mention my left hand was recently put back together after it lost an argument with a nine inch grinder.
I am behind on all my farm work, I had to get my wife, with a broken wrist, to help me clean out the pig pens and goat pen, not to mention feedind them and the cows, turkeys, ducks, and chickens every day. Do you actually think I have the time or inclination to worry about the next ten years? I wake up every day to dog kisses from my blue heeler and aussie sheppard, go out to the barn and get huge hugs from my great pyrenees livestock guard, greeted by the goats and pigs and get a lick from one of the cows. Not to mention another day with my wife.
I have enough to think about, ten years from now can take care of itself.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #7  
Yeah well, I had been thinking about dropping my CDL and required medical check anyway.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport.
ok. So I am 60 and both achilles tendons are torn, I have broken a vertebrae and have several other back problems. The pain is constant.
I have not been able to stand on one foot for a minute for a decade. So I guess I am dead.
should I mention my left hand was recently put back together after it lost an argument with a nine inch grinder.
I am behind on all my farm work, I had to get my wife, with a broken wrist, to help me clean out the pig pens and goat pen, not to mention feedind them and the cows, turkeys, ducks, and chickens every day. Do you actually think I have the time or inclination to worry about the next ten years? I wake up every day to dog kisses from my blue heeler and aussie sheppard, go out to the barn and get huge hugs from my great pyrenees livestock guard, greeted by the goats and pigs and get a lick from one of the cows. Not to mention another day with my wife.
I have enough to think about, ten years from now can take care of itself.
I did say it is the most extreme sport
How did you tear the achilles tendons???? Both of them no less?

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #9  
How did you tear the achilles tendons???? Both of them no less?
Well, that is hard to say. In 2009 my feet were hurting rather badly and after x-rays the Nurse Practioner I was seeing said I had heel spurs and should loose weight. After a while I went to a Podiatrist who cursed doctors who took little rime to learn about things beyond common colds. He said the tendons were torn and had been for a long time and had caused a growth that had penetrated the injured tendon. He said there is an operation that could fix them but he did not want to touch them. I got a second opinion that was almost per batam to the first. So I do streches and pain killers to keep the pain in my back and feet to a dull roar. The Hall of Fame Baseball player David 'Big Poppi' Ortiz has the same problem.

/ As we age, Growing old is the most extreme sport. #10  
Conversation:
1: *fishes out a cigarette*
2: you should consider dropping that habit.
1: why?
2: not healthy.
1: so?
2: you'll live longer.
1: yeh, but those will be old-man years.