Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #1  

Lindsay484

Tractor
Ford Jubilee '54
I am being gifted a 54 ford jubilee tractor and I am trying to figure out what attachments will work with it and would love all of your help! I have never used this kind of tractor before and have limited tractor knowledge since most of my experience has been no-till. I am transitioning hayfields into veggie production and these are the implements I think will be best and I am wondering how I know what size etc will work with the Jubilee? Thanks for the help!
  • Moldboard plow
  • Disc harrow
  • field cultivator
  • rototiller (I think I read you can't use these with a jubilee?)

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #2  
All of the above. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use a rototiller.

The Jubilee is a queen. Pleasurable tractor to operate. In it's day this tractor was a mainstay on small farms. Great all around tractor. You are a Blessed Man.

Post some pics when you can.

Welcome to TBN.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #3  
All of the above. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to use a rototiller.

The Jubilee is a queen. Pleasurable tractor to operate. In it's day this tractor was a mainstay on small farms. Great all around tractor. You are a Blessed Man.

Post some pics when you can.

Welcome to TBN.

Does a jubilee go slow enough for a tiller? Do they have the 4 spd like an 8n or a swing shift like the newer ones? I have not been on one in a few moons. The one we had was gas with an external lift pump. Ifn I remember correctly. But we had an old 4000 gas, 801 powermaster, 8n, 941 row crop all at the same time. Only one not here is the jubilee.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #4  
Does a jubilee go slow enough for a tiller? Do they have the 4 spd like an 8n or a swing shift like the newer ones? I have not been on one in a few moons. The one we had was gas with an external lift pump. Ifn I remember correctly. But we had an old 4000 gas, 801 powermaster, 8n, 941 row crop all at the same time. Only one not here is the jubilee.
Ground speed, although not able to be controlled as with an HST, isn't a stopper for tiller use. I run a tiller on my 3910.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #5  
Rear scraper blade might come in handy.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #6  
You might can use a tiller if you disc ground first. We always disc first. We pull an 8' offset disc and that takes a lot to pull. That thing digs.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #7  
A Jub or NAA will most definitely NOT run a tiller, this question is asked so often it should be on the startup page of browsers but you don't know till you ask. The gearing in the Jub and any of the hundred series tractors that do not have the SOS transmission have a ground speed that is to fast for a tiller. One exception is if the tractor has a Hupp auxiliary transmission, it is a rare bird that was designed to slow the tractor but not the PTO. It is the only auxiliary transmission that will work, Sherman (the most common) and others not only change the tractors speed but also it's PTO speed.

A two bottom plow and disk will make you golden for prepping ground.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #8  
You forgot a box blade. No self-respecting tractor owner can survive without one!

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #9  
Some day I guess I have to get a box blade to find out what the hype is all about....

To the original list, I think I'd add:

Mower - Some flavor... You're going to have to keep those hay fields cut until you get them all converted over to veg. Plus there's always going to be grass somewhere... You can get a rotary/brush hog cheap. On the other hand, you can keep it all cut with a finish mower if you don't let it get out of control, and it'll be a nicer unit to run for whatever grass you keep as grass. We keep all our fields cut with a finish mower behind an 8N. Flail is another option, I just don't know how they work with the gear selection on an 8N/NAA.

Back Blade - We've got a 5' that has been good for our needs. Takes care of most of the snow plowing. I'd be looking for a 6' if I was starting from scratch so it covers the tread width when you put some angle on it.

Trailer - When we were doing a lot of veg, we were always needing a trailer to haul transplants to the field, irrigation stuff, veggies from the field, rotten veggies to the compost pile, etc... That got mostly supplanted when we got a Gator (and stopped with the veggies), but the dump trailer is still invaluable at other times.

Other than implements, you may want to keep an eye out for:
Wheel, and or axle weights - Don't forget weights on the front wheels. These tractors are kind light up front when you hang an implement out back. The weights that sit over the axle are great, and are out of the way. I'm assuming they would work on your machine, ours are on an 8N.
Tire Chains - Great in the snow/ice. Can be useful when field plowing (so I've read, we never used them for that).
Make sure you find out all the parts that work with the 3 pt hitch, and how to use them. Sway Bars, Stay Bars, Draw Bar, and Top Link. You're likely going to need them all at some point.

Congrats on the tractor. There are obviously lots more advanced machines out there, but the N series can do an insane amount of work, and are easy to maintain. Once you get going, they're cheap enough that you can get another if you don't feel like taking a particular implement off all the time... We picked up a second 8N just for mowing.

/ Attachments for my '54 Ford Jubilee #10  
I am being gifted a 54 ford jubilee tractor and I am trying to figure out what attachments will work with it. I am transitioning hayfields into veggie production and these are the implements I think will be best.

Specialty implements for vegetable gardening:

FIELD CULTIVATOR:

Last edited: