ATV Log Arch/Skidder

/ ATV Log Arch/Skidder #31  
Your setup would definitely work better for hauling longer logs.

Nice work.

/ ATV Log Arch/Skidder #32  
This setup works for me and is useful around the yard as a dump trailer. There is a flatbed that just sits on the frame and dumps with the boat winch. When using it for pulling trees, just connect the winch to the c frame making a tripod and pick up the tree with the winch.

Attachments

• P1000339.jpg
    P1000339.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 2,857
   / ATV Log Arch/Skidder #33  
grnspot I use a setup similar to yours. Sometimes with a heavy log I have to put the dolly on the log upside-down, and bind it onto the log, then upright it (tip it over) with levers. Then hook onto the front with the log arch and drive away. For that reason it's good if the dolly doesn't have a wide stance.

plumbstraight I like the dual use of yours. The 'arch part" looks is a lot 'skinnier' than the arch that I got from Northern tool (which is mean to be used by hand). But the drawbar pulls directly on each wheel. I'll have to think about that for a little while?

/ ATV Log Arch/Skidder #34  
SSPX0056.JPG
100_0702ab.JPG
100_3144.JPG
100_3147.JPG

Here's mine... the fenders/deflectors got added after one too many times coming to an abrupt stop going around a corner and hooking a standing tree. Mine's hauled quite a bit of wood, everything from fence posts to larger trees. You can unhook from the ATV, back the arch over the tree lying on the ground, hook the choker up and then use the tongue as a lever to pull the tree up and then re-attach the coupler. I usually just either muscle the tree up or use the winch if it's a bigger stick.

Lawn tractor rims, ATV tires from a dumpster, Chrysler FWD rear stub axles (Spirit I think it was), 1200 lb boat winch, and some steel tubing. I use a 400 Honda Foreman, if it'll fit in the arch the ATV will haul it. I usually cut sticks between 12 and 16 feet long, any longer and it gets awkward making corners.

This one got entered in Miller's Weekend Welder challenge a few years ago.

Sean