Auction price and now it's For Sale Price

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I was looking at some tractors that are for sale on a local website and saw something that I never seen before. A John Deer 85F orchard tractor. They are asking $21,500 for it with 277 hours. https://www.jandksales.net/inventor...5f?dlr=1&pcid=2951752&sfc=0&ssc=0&lo=3&snai=0

Since it looks so odd and I never heard of them before, I did a quick search to learn about them, and I found this auction result link that I believe is the exact same tractor. It says that it sold for $15,700 https://www.specialtycropeq.com/lis...ohn-deere-85f-orchard-slash-vineyard-tractors

The auction place that it sold at is probably a hundred or so miles away from the place that has it listed for sale today.

I've always wondered how much they add to the price when selling stuff. At 25%, give or take, this seems like more profit then I was thinking. I'm not criticizing them, I know that anybody could go to those auctions and buy for less and they try to make a profit off of it, I just thought it was good info to have when looking at used tractors for sale.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #2  
Yeah, it has the same dent on the right side under the 85F.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #3  
Same yellow key fob and the same hours, 277.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #4  
That's actually a Goldoni tractor just rebadged to JD. JD used quite a few Goldoni tractors for the specialized tractor lines since Goldoni was a top of the line manufacturer when it came to specialized tractors for vineyards, orchards, etc.

For a while, these rebadged Goldoni's were all JD sold on European market as far as compact tractors.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #5  
also keep in mind auction fees 10-20 % and sales tax from auction . sell had to go get it ! did he service it or is putting any warranty ? auctions - especially on line are a roll of the dice does it move / knock / smoke / leak so its really not 25%

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #6  
Same serial number, so same tractor. If it was in my state, I'd be looking at it!!!

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price
That's actually a Goldoni tractor just rebadged to JD. JD used quite a few Goldoni tractors for the specialized tractor lines since Goldoni was a top of the line manufacturer when it came to specialized tractors for vineyards, orchards, etc.

For a while, these rebadged Goldoni's were all JD sold on European market as far as compact tractors.
Any idea of how easy it is to get parts for something like this? I'm not buying, but I am curious since it's 85 hp with 4 wheeldrive and AC for a very low amount for all of that. Seems like the ultimate deal for a batwing mower!!!

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #8  
Any idea of how easy it is to get parts for something like this? I'm not buying, but I am curious since it's 85 hp with 4 wheeldrive and AC for a very low amount for all of that. Seems like the ultimate deal for a batwing mower!!!
Can't say for sure. I'm expecting it to be harder to find parts in the US than in Europe. It's up to JD to keep carrying parts for these tractors but that's kind of a long shot. Maybe you can ask some JD dealers?

Another problem I see, is that Goldoni was going bankrupt around the year 2015, then the Lovol-Arbos group took over Goldoni in 2017, creating a new line of tractors using Goldoni factories and based on what they used to make.

So the support for older Goldoni tractors is probably non existence. Which is a shame as they made some very good tractor, with cool features. These specialized tractors, often came with front diff lock as standard options, some with higher flow hydraulic pumps, multiple PTO speeds including ground speed PTO gear, other had an option for 3 pt downforce ability.

Also that JD 85F uses a VM-Detroit engine, we all know both VM and Detroit made great engines.

Found this list of Goldoni tractors that JD used on their specialized lines: John Deere tractors by Goldoni

Probably not a good idea taking a chance on this type of tractor on a market where these are kind of rare. If it was in Europe, I would say go for it, because there many dealers still carry all the parts from older stocks, or maybe the Arbos group still kept the support for older tractors. I really don't know about that.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #9  
If you are in a position to seriously consider this tractor, it might be worth contacting Orchard Equipment Supply Co. in Conway, MA (OESCOInc.com). They are still shown on Goldoni's website as a US representative. OESCO has not listed Goldoni equipment (except a few 2-wheel tractor implements at deeply discounted prices) for years, but they might be able to provide some insight about getting parts.

/ Auction price and now it's For Sale Price #10  
I've been going to farm auctions, and large farm equipment dealer auctions for 50+ years. I had a couple Uncle's who farmed, and bought a lot of equipment to resell. Rule of thumb was, if it didn't need a lot of work, 20% was the profit margin sought. So if there was something you really wanted/needed, if you outbid the dealers there, you were still good.

15 years ago, I scoured ads for a new small PTO manure spreader, to pull behind my Farmall Super C. Small enough it wouldn't push me over a hill loaded in the winter, I needed to go down to get to the field where I spread. I found a new Pequea, PTO 80 bushel listed for nearly $1,000 less than everyone else was asking for theirs. Being that dealer was a 2 hour drive away, I called to make sure that was the right price. He assured me it was, and that it had been setting on his lot for almost a year, and it needed to go.

I told him I'd be there the next day, and consider it sold. I headed out early the next morning to get it, with cash in hand. When I arrived, I told him who I was, so he went to his office to get the paperwork, and manuals. When he came back, he was a bit perplexed. He said his wife had posted the spreader online, and had mistakenly posted the price he paid for it. He brought the paperwork with him to show me his cost, and explained what happened, and that he could not sell it for that. I got perplexed right back, and told him that's exactly why I called to confirm the price, before driving 2 hours one way. Pretty well had him by the short hairs... He asked if I would give $50 more than that price. I agreed, as it was still right at $950 less than anywhere else, for a brand new spreader.

I never realized until that day that there was that much markup on new equipment. I realize a piece of equipment may set on a lot for months before being sold, and most may require some assembly, but that's still a good chunk of change.