Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ??

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #1  

PJSprog

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
The Wife and I were talking last night about putting a sound system in our upstairs living room. We won't have a television up there, just a baby grand piano and some seating, a sofa and a couple of chairs. We have satellite tv downstairs, and still have the cable through the floor in the corner that will be behind the piano, left from her Grandmother's tv. We have subscriptions to SiriusXM in our vehicles, and could add another receiver inside. However, we were wondering if we could just get a receiver that we could connect to the existing satellite feed for the sole purpose of playing the music channels. I know I could just run another satellite receiver to a small display and run audio off of that. But, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a device specifically made for this purpose; audio only. I can't seem to find one.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ??
I could. But, the television downstairs is at the opposite end of the house from where we would put the system upstairs, which would make for a long cable run. It would also limit us to listening to whatever is on that tv. Looking for something more independent.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #4  
You can add the Internet package but if you do that you might as well just use the Internet to listen to whatever you want without using the satellite.

There are many free music services and most new home receivers have it built in.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #5  
I could. But, the television downstairs is at the opposite end of the house from where we would put the system upstairs, which would make for a long cable run. It would also limit us to listening to whatever is on that tv. Looking for something more independent.
Just something you might want to check into...IF...you have AT&T as a cell service provider and Direct TV...They are advertising Direct TV service to any device "data free"...I do not know if they consider their music (sonic) channels as "TV" but it might be an option if they allow it and you get cell service at the upstairs location...
Good Luck...

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #6  
I rebroadcast music on FM 88-108 for use with worktunes ear muffs, so I am always looking for music sources. I have a lifetime XM subscription, but don't feel like paying for another unit, plus, I have heard free stations on-line that are actually more enjoyable.

So, I am considering buying an Internet receiver. It also supports Pandora, which is apparently quite neat.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #7  

Call your satellite provider and have them send you a receiver that will handle two different channels. Let one channel be what you are watching, the other the music source. Your receiver must be about 10 years old if it won't do that. Time for a new one.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ??
We have two receivers, and they were both replaced last year, along with a new unit on the dish. Both are single channel.

We have HughesNet for an internet provider, and that comes with serious data limits, so streaming audio is not really an option without a significant increase in cost. Since we're already paying for the music channels on satellite TV, we wanted to go that route.

What I'm looking for is a stand-alone music player that accepts a satellite TV input. Short of that, I guess I'll just rig something together. We can get another receiver from Dish Network for $7/month, and I can build a small system around that as the source. So far, it's looking like maybe that's the best option for now.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #9  
Use the optical out of a satellite receiver? Also I think sound systems have HDMI inputs, but these are designed for TV surround.

/ Audio Only Player for Satellite TV ?? #10