axle/brake rebuilds

/ axle/brake rebuilds #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
So my $500 livestock trailer. Needs some rebuilds
laughing.gif

I figured id make a thread for the trailer, and a thread for the axles as the axles are rather independent of the trailer type and we have seen some other rebuild candidates come across the boards in terms of suggestions.

The trailer is a 92. You start with rusty wheels/lug nuts that do not look like they have been off for 20 years.

My impact had a hard time running them off across all the rust so on the second wheel we busted out the gas axe and heated the lugs. (just slight color) Then the impact ran them right off.

DSC05367%20(Small).JPG

the drums spin freely and nicely, no horrible sounds, no wobbles... Although i do have my suspicions that the trailer sat in a flooded area at some point due to the even coat of mud inside all the rims, inside the box were they tied the brake wireing together, etc.

DSC05366%20(Small).JPG

I have been unable to move any of the moving parts on the backing plates that operate the brakes. Magnets are worn through, shoes look virtually untouched. I just dont think the trailer had that many miles on it due to the condition of the shoes/drums and the bearings.

DSC05365%20(Small).JPG

Again the torch on the backside backing plate bolts reduced the required work significantly. Due to tight space this is a hand job only, no air tools will fit back there.

The axle backing plate area was wirecupped (4.5" angle grinder), primmed with rusty primer and a quick shot of black. Spindle was tapped off. The tires were wire wheeled on the front, coat of rusty primer, then 2 coats of white. Backsides got hit with a wire wheel and some primer only.

Bearings were cleaned in my parts cleaner, blown dry, and repacked with grease. inspection of both bearings an races were good. grease that came out of hubs was 90% ive seen much worse.

So to the meat n patatos

Priceing parts for my 6 on 5.5 5200-6000lb axles.

shoes are ~$25 magnets are ~$25
-all new backing plates with everything installled is $43 ?!?!?!
confused2.gif

- new rear seals ~$4 ea
- new mounting bolts for backing plates
- new lug nuts.

hardware per wheel ~$5 (lugs, backing plate bolts)

I also purchased a new 1/2"x20 die to chase threads on the drums.

By the time you add up primer, spray paint, new can of axle bearing grease, brake clean etc...

~$60 per tire for a brake rebuild reusing old bearings, drums and tires.

a drum with bearing and seal set is ~$82
a bearing set alone is ~$10

tires run $140-160

you need the whole enchilada? (drum with bearings, backing plates, tires?) ballpark $600 an axle.

/ axle/brake rebuilds
I thought i had taken some more pics but i guess i didnt. Ill have to snap a few more to fill in when i tackle the right side today.

/ axle/brake rebuilds #3  
Nice work. As we have mentioned so many times a used trailer can quickly out cost a new one unless its bought cheap such as you did.

I can't tell you how many car haulers get brought to me someone picked up used for $1200 to $1500 and I quickly dump another $1000 in it just to make it road worthy. That buys a new trailer every day of the week here.

Chris

/ axle/brake rebuilds #4  
Did you price out a replacement axle? I have a feeling that it would be less than $600 an axle.

/ axle/brake rebuilds #6  
Last year I was faced with shoes for a pair of 8,000 lb Dexter axles.
These are hydraulic with an electric actuator (basically a 12 volt pump that responds to a "regular" electric brake controller).
I have never been really happy with these brakes; always SOMETHING, a blown out seal here, a noisy bearing there, never really in balance, etc.

I did the arithmetic, figuring labor and likely knuckle skin loss, it wasn't pretty.
Then I looked at whole backing plate replacements, these were a couple of hundred bux EACH for the 12 1/4 x 3 3/8 as I recall.
Maybe $260, I don't recall exactly.
So, faced with that and the chance that I might need drums a couple of years later it was going to be G'daweful costly.

I finally decided on an upgrade to discs and by a fortunate coincidence the original electric over hydraulic actuator that I had for the drums is a 1600 psi unit, though for drums it should have been 1200 or 1000. Maybe that was part of the problem with the drums, either I got way too much braking or it was vague.

Long story short I got Kodiak 13 inch disks with oil filled hubs.
New bearings and seals, the WHOLE DEAL, even with 6 1/4 % Mass sales tax.
For just under $900 - and I'm LUVIN' IT !!!
Less work to maintain, easier to check lube, CHEAP disc pucks, on and on...

So, my SUGGESTION is that you look into disc brakes - oil filled hubs too.
Probably cheaper in the mid term, definitely cheaper in the long term, not to mention BETTER BRAKES.

PS
Might wanna check out new axle prices with discs vs new axle prices with drums.
I looked casually for someone with a pair of 3500 lb axles and it was like nickles and dimes between them.
You CAN run these with a surge actuator, but I already had the electric actuator - and since this is a goose neck trailer I can't use a surge actuator anyway (-:

/ axle/brake rebuilds #7  
This isn't the site that I had referred to as nickles and dimes different for drums vs discs, but it gives SOME idea of the cost differences.

Trailer Axles

Worth a look, ~$35 to ~$48 more per axe for discs over drums in 3,500 lb range.
Those are KODIAK discs too, which are a pretty good brand IMO.

/ axle/brake rebuilds #8  
This isn't the site that I had referred to as nickles and dimes different for drums vs discs, but it gives SOME idea of the cost differences.

Trailer Axles

Worth a look, ~$35 to ~$48 more per axe for discs over drums in 3,500 lb range.
Those are KODIAK discs too, which are a pretty good brand IMO.

I run Kodiak dis brakes on about 40 of the trailers I maintain. Well worth the upgrade money.

Chris

/ axle/brake rebuilds #9  
I've never liked the surge brake actuators. I had a car dolly that had them and they never worked right. If I was going to go disc I would get the electric over hydraulic set up. I know plenty of people with them on boat trailers that don't have a problem, I just haven't had good luck with the two I've owned. Can you adjust the braking force on the electric over hydraulic actuators like you can electric brakes?

/ axle/brake rebuilds #10  
I've never liked the surge brake actuators. I had a car dolly that had them and they never worked right. If I was going to go disc I would get the electric over hydraulic set up. I know plenty of people with them on boat trailers that don't have a problem, I just haven't had good luck with the two I've owned. Can you adjust the braking force on the electric over hydraulic actuators like you can electric brakes?

Yes, via you in truck brake controller.

Chris