B2650 rear pto locked up?

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
My rear pto located up when using for the first time since last winter by locked up I mean I engaged the rear pto then it just locked up and killed the tractor after it was spinning for a few sec.

Now there is a leak around the pto not exactly sure where. I also seen a little puff of smoke from that.

Any ideas of what could cause this and what is wrong?

I have not tried to use it since not sure if I should could do more damage. Tractor still runs fine used the mid pto all summer no issues.

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #2  
What was you PTO hooked up to? Maybe something like a tiller stalled the engine by hitting something solid.....and then jarred some gasket/seal loose. Thus the leak.....just guessing.

/ B2650 rear pto locked up?
It was hooked up to a snowblower but I was not blowing any snow simply sitting in the garage with it off the ground, I was putting it on for the winter and gave it a test.

Should I re-try the pto with the blower un-hooked? And yes the blower turns freely. The pto seems to be stuck to the tractor now haven稚 been able to get it off.

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #4  
Sounds like the pto shaft to the snow blower was too long and when you raised the snow blower you damaged the pto shaft and rear housing on the tractor.

You need to dismount the snow blower and start looking for a damaged pto housing.

Look at this you tube video on how to measure and cut a pto shaft. After you get the blower dismounted you can check the length of the shaft and confirm or eliminate that as the problem.

How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #5  
What I do before attaching a new implement and shaft is to attach the implement to the 3pt, lift it all the way, as far as the tractor will lift it, and then try to attach the PTO shaft. If it is too long, I won't be able to attach it, and I can see how much more it needs to be cut.

Takes all guesswork out of the process and you'll know for certain that it's not going to be too long when you lift the implement.

Rob, hate to say it... that is going to cost some $$ to fix.

Wonder if the kubota insurance will cover it? The thing is I used the snowblower last year with no issues it痴 a land pride blower.

If I could get the thing off the pto I can see what is leaking would it only leak if the tractor is running? Because it seems to have stopped.

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #7  
What I do before attaching a new implement and shaft is to attach the implement to the 3pt, lift it all the way, as far as the tractor will lift it, and then try to attach the PTO shaft. If it is too long, I won't be able to attach it, and I can see how much more it needs to be cut.

Takes all guesswork out of the process and you'll know for certain that it's not going to be too long when you lift the implement.

Rob, hate to say it... that is going to cost some $$ to fix.

Great advice. I like it.

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #8  
Wonder if the kubota insurance will cover it? The thing is I used the snowblower last year with no issues itç—´ a land pride blower.

If I could get the thing off the pto I can see what is leaking would it only leak if the tractor is running? Because it seems to have stopped.

If it is insured, it should. It is the tractor, and it was operator error. That is what insurance is for. $250 KTAC deductible should do it. Please do check with your dealer.

Personally I would not run the PTO again until it was checked out by a qualified service tech. If you saw smoke and leaking fluids..something probably needs to be fixed. Just to play it safe!

/ B2650 rear pto locked up? #9  
Have you tried pushing on it and then pressing the release button? It might've gotten jammed.

I remember back when I was a kid working on a farm, a PTO shaft got rusted onto the tractor, and I had to use a hand winch to carefully pull it off while using a rubber mallet. Learned from that day on, how important it is to have at least a tiny amount of grease on the shaft.

I wouldn't try a crowbar, because lateral forces.

I got it off! Still can稚 tell what was leaking really only a few drops now.

It will not shift to the rear pto or rear/mid but the mid only works.