B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved

/ B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #1  

smallbota

Tractor
Kubota B3030 With Cab
The B3030 has been running issue free since 2006 and I just did the 900 hr Hydraulic Fluid and Filter change. Using standard UDT and Baldwin Filters. Now, when I start up I have zero hydraulic pressure for first three minutes then it slowly starts to come back. Pump sounds a bit noisy. After 5 or 6 minutes FEL and power steering are almost back to normal and hydrostatic is working although noisy. Level just over top line on dipstick, no air bubbles seen after running 10 minutes. I'm a decent wrench guy but no hydraulic experience so I'm at a loss to explain. I'm sure someone here can nail this down in short order. Should mention I started out trying to save $65 and put in Mobil Delvac fluid (UDT compliant), thought that was the issue, so drained and donated to town DOT (they burn waste oil to heat) and put in UDT. So instead of saving $65 I burned $85 on non-Kubota fluid and filters.

UPDATE: Replaced the Baldwin Filters and problem resolved - back to quiet pump and HST with full pressure for FEL and Pwr Steering (as it always has been). So instead of saving $65 on Delvac Fluid and Baldwin Filters over Kubota, I ended up spending an extra $85 for the Delvac and Filters I couldn't use (Kubota UDT and FIlters locally were $150).

On a side note, when I went to replace the right drain bolt on the axle case, as I barely started to tighten it up it popped out with the case threads in the bolt threads. Must have been a soft spot in the aluminum. Had to drill and tap for a larger bolt. Tap went through like butter. I loaded the bolt up with blue locktite and gently torqued it on.

Last edited:
   / B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #2  
my first guess would be the non kubota filters, are you sure you cross referenced the right part numbers. not sure on the b3030 but my l4740 has a suction filter. if you are using a filter designed for pressure on the suction side???

My dealer once told me the first thing you should do after a fluid change, as soon as it starts is to work the steering back and forth to help clear the air out of the system. If you ran it for three minutes with no oil going through the pump...

does it do it every time you start it or only the first time after the fluid change.

/ B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved
Does it every time. I thought the Baldwins were a good alternative to 'botas, same hole size and pattern.

Last edited:
   / B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #4  
I agree with the above re:sticking with oem filters. Definitely put an oem filter on to see if that clears up your problem before you start spending a lot of time chasing things.

I put a Napa fuel filter on my Ferris mower this summer; has a Cat diesel in it. Ran terrible. Pulled the Napa filter off and compared it to the old Cat filter I had taken off. The holes in the filter were much more restricted in the Napa filter. Bought a new Cat filter and it ran perfect.

May or may not apply to hydraulic oil filters, but I would definitely look.

/ B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #5  
classic gorilla tightening of the drain plugs. Not necessarily by you probably the previous owner or even the factory. Glad you were able to fix that problem relatively simply. A little grease on the tap helps keep the chips on the tap instead of in the case.

UPDATE: Replaced the Baldwin Filters and problem resolved - back to quiet pump and HST with full pressure for FEL and Pwr Steering (as it always has been). So instead of saving $65 on Delvac Fluid and Baldwin Filters over Kubota, I ended up spending an extra $85 for the Delvac and Filters I couldn't use (Kubota UDT and FIlters locally were $150). Probably could have used the Delvac since it was a Filter issue (large 37712 on right attached to pump input line) but learned my lesson and will replace with 'bota next time as well. Only thing I don't use that's Kubota is the Fuel Filter - stupid expensive so I replaced entire fuel filter assy with a Racor and love it.

Last edited:
classic gorilla tightening of the drain plugs. Not necessarily by you probably the previous owner or even the factory. Glad you were able to fix that problem relatively simply. A little grease on the tap helps keep the chips on the tap instead of in the case.
Yep, did the grease on tap trick. Local dealer wrenched it on during it's 300 hr maintenance way back.

/ B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #8  
The B3030 has been running issue free since 2006 and I just did the 900 hr Hydraulic Fluid and Filter change. Using standard UDT and Baldwin Filters. Now, when I start up I have zero hydraulic pressure for first three minutes then it slowly starts to come back. Pump sounds a bit noisy. After 5 or 6 minutes FEL and power steering are almost back to normal and hydrostatic is working although noisy. Level just over top line on dipstick, no air bubbles seen after running 10 minutes. I'm a decent wrench guy but no hydraulic experience so I'm at a loss to explain. I'm sure someone here can nail this down in short order. Should mention I started out trying to save $50 and put in Mobil Delvac fluid (UDT compliant), thought that was the issue, so drained and donated to town DOT (they burn waste oil to heat) and put in UDT. So instead of saving $50 I burned $50.

UPDATE: Replaced the Baldwin Filters and problem resolved - back to quiet pump and HST with full pressure for FEL and Pwr Steering (as it always has been). So instead of saving $65 on Delvac Fluid and Baldwin Filters over Kubota, I ended up spending an extra $85 for the Delvac and Filters I couldn't use (Kubota UDT and FIlters locally were $150).

On a side note, when I went to replace the right drain bolt on the axle case, as I barely started to tighten it up it popped out with the case threads in the bolt threads. Must have been a soft spot in the aluminum. Had to drill and tap for a larger bolt. Tap went through like butter. I loaded the bolt up with blue locktite and gently torqued it on.
the reason it was easy to tap is it is cast iron

/ B3030 No Pressure After Hydro Fluid Change - Resolved #9  
Only thing I don't use that's Kubota is the Fuel Filter - stupid expensive so I replaced entire fuel filter assy with a Raycor and love it.
What is the Micron rating of the Raynor filter?

What is the Micron rating of the Raynor filter?
I am using R12P Racor filters that are 30 micron. These are the top part of a two part set up with the bottom part being a clear plastic bowl with quick drain. See eBay item 233650787689. R12S is 5, R12T is 10, R12P is 30. The 30 alllows the fuel to flow in winter when it gets thicker (I snow plow a lot). I use an anti-gel additive and keep some Diesel 911 handy but never gelled up plowing even when it's been 10F. Use #2 heating oil (same as off-road diesel).

Last edited: