B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
So a couple of weeks ago - in the middle of the last big snowstorm we had - I went out and started the tractor, was letting it run to warm up , it ran for maybe a minute, then it died, I tried to restart it - and it wouldn't crank, and that was pretty much it.

More details: the tractor has been outside this winter. It was probably in the mid-teens when I started it. I turned the key on and let the glow plugs warm up for about 30 seconds - then cranked it over - it started (but was running pretty rough because it was cold) - I let it run like that for maybe 30 seconds - then gave it just a little bit of throttle to get it running smoother. Then I stepped away to clear some snow and let the thing run and warm up - and it probably went for 30-45 seconds - and died.

When I went over to restart it - it wouldn't even crank over. The dash seemed like it was acting a little funky - all the lights were coming on and stuff like that. I tried shutting off and pulling out the key - no luck. I tried screwing around with the seat kill switch (it had a lot of snow around it) - that didn't make a difference. Tried a few other things - nothing helped. So I pretty much left it there for a week or so until the snow melted back and then went out and checked the fuses - they're all good. Tried starting the tractor again - same problem.

Anybody have any clues as to what might be going on here? If I put the key into the "on" position I hear a noise which sounds like a solenoid engaging. But I get no crank out of the engine whatsoever. Not even a half hearted attempt.

I haven't checked the battery condition. I guess I was thinking that's not what the problem is - because the tractor died while it was running. Which is something I've never had happen before.

One of my co-workers said I might have hydro lock on the engine, and I should remove the injectors and check that out, but I'm not quite sure how that would have happened.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over #2  
I would start by checking and seeing how many volts are in the battery.

The PTO did not accidentally get engaged did it?

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over #3  
I'd jump the starter with the battery that's in the tractor (be safe- in neutral, brakes on, ambulance standing by). If it starts you know the battery and starter are good. If not, I'd load test the battery, or try jumping with a known good battery. I kind of doubt it's the battery because you mention the dash lights were doing funky things. What did the dash lights do and when did they do it? If they're funky with the key off, then the switch might be bad. If they're funky with the switch on, there are more possibilities.

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over

That's an excellent observation. I suppose it might have - I had been clearing snow off the tractor and I suppose it's possible that I hit the lever just enough that it slipped into position to engage the PTO.

I'll have to check that - I didn't even think of that.

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over

I just had to check - went outside in the dark with a flashlight and double checked.

Moved the PTO lever back and forth a couple of times (it actually feels sort of loose) - and I got the starter to crank. Tomorrow night when I get home from work and have a little bit of daylight I'll look more closely and start it up and run it for a bit.

Thanks! For some reason the PTO thing just never entered my mind.

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over #6  
I just had to check - went outside in the dark with a flashlight and double checked.

Moved the PTO lever back and forth a couple of times (it actually feels sort of loose) - and I got the starter to crank. Tomorrow night when I get home from work and have a little bit of daylight I'll look more closely and start it up and run it for a bit.

Thanks! For some reason the PTO thing just never entered my mind.

I think the only safety switches (at least on mine) that have anything to do with it starting are the PTO and the hydro pedal has to be centered. Good luck.

/ B3200 started up, ran for bit, died - and now won't even turn over #7  
I just had to check - went outside in the dark with a flashlight and double checked. Moved the PTO lever back and forth a couple of times (it actually feels sort of loose) - and I got the starter to crank. Tomorrow night when I get home from work and have a little bit of daylight I'll look more closely and start it up and run it for a bit. Thanks! For some reason the PTO thing just never entered my mind.

Glad you found the issue...

Read your owners manual; it says to push the clutch in when starting the tractor.

Not the first or last time we see this here (but should be)

Sit on the tractor

Make sure HST treadle is in neutral position

Make sure PTO is off/neutral

Brakes engaged

Clutch in

Bump up throttle

Turn the key (glow 5-30 sec) depending on weather

Start the tractor/warm up

Shouldn't be ANY issues if this is followed

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet