B7800 FEL leak

/ B7800 FEL leak #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
How hard is it to fix a leak on one of the FEL arms? It does not leak all the time it depends on the position of the arms.

/ B7800 FEL leak #2  
I just did the one on my b7800. Easier than some. I made my own spanner wrench but the gland nut was not tight. No special tools needed. The hard seal was the only difficult on and I soaked it in 225 degree hydraulic oil so it would stretch easily. After it was on in was extra sloppy fit. I put a hose clamp on it just snug and when cooled in a short time was fine. I loosened the gland nut while on the tractor to old the body.

/ B7800 FEL leak #4  
If it's leaking in just a certain spot, chance are the piston rod is damaged. If it was ne, I'd take it to a competent hydraulic shop and have them assess the issue. Replacing the seals won't cure your leak problem if the rod is damaged.

/ B7800 FEL leak
Where the red line is. Comes out of the tube runs down the silver arm for a lack of better words.

1.jpg

/ B7800 FEL leak #6  
Probably just need a seal kit, but if you take the cylinder off the loader and extend it out fully, you can check the rod and see if it is damaged. If no damage then reseal it, otherwise you may have to replace the rod too.

/ B7800 FEL leak #7  
Keep in mind that 'damage' causing leakage can be anything from a deep scratch to a slight bend. One the hard chrome on the piston rod (which is what you refer to as the 'silver arm' which is really the piston rod si compromised, the seals will weep. Why, instead of attempting to replace the seals, it would behoove you to take it to a competent hydraulic shop and let them inspect and repair it. Not gonna be all that expensive in the first place and if they do it, you have a guarantee that it will be right. If you do it, there is no guarantee at all and if it still leaks, it's 100% on you.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / B7800 FEL leak #8  
Definitely a learning curve on replacing hydraulic seals and some specialty tools are required sometimes. Gets better with practice. Pay for the education, experience and practice or pay someone else. Sometimes finding a good hydraulic shop that can help you now and in the future is good experience too.

/ B7800 FEL leak
Probably just need a seal kit, but if you take the cylinder off the loader and extend it out fully, you can check the rod and see if it is damaged. If no damage then reseal it, otherwise you may have to replace the rod too.

So just check to see if it's straight? It has been outside all it's life i'm sure that does not help things. I have replaced most all of the hoses on the FEL.

/ B7800 FEL leak #10  
You need a precision straight edge to check the straightness of the piston rod anyway, actually a precision straight edge and feeler gauges plus you have to know what the deviation tolerance is.