Grading back blade question/advice

/ back blade question/advice #1  

kevkubota

Tractor
BX2200
i bought a bush hog series 20 4' blade with my bx2200, I used it to remove snow, along with my fel about 6 times this winter. After reading all the comments on here i could find about back blades and snow removal, I have decided that it is not wide enough and not sturdy enough for the long haul. So, i have decided to go with a bush hog series 35 5' blade...it is much sturdier, 2 1/2" taller and obviuosly 1 foot wider.....any thoughts or comments or advice would be appreciated...the dealer will just swap it out for me if i choose to do so. By the way...my driveway is blacktop and around 150' long by 12' wide with a large turnaround area near the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ back blade question/advice #2  
I won't comment on your specific situation, but let me make a few general comments about my back blade. Sounds like we did the same thing and bought a cheaper blade sized for the tractor we have. I bought a 5' Farm King. It is a light duty blade that rotates 360 degrees with 6 stop angles (3 per side). I've posted on here before indicating that if I had to do it over again I'd still get a 5' blade, but I'd get a "heavy duty" blade with offset and tilt capability. Offset would allow me to angle the blade fully and still push snow well off the driveway. This is opposed to getting a 6' blade which is really too big for a B2410 when you plan on doing dirt/gravel work.

Just my $0.02

Kevin

/ back blade question/advice
Thanks for your 2 cents kevin....we definately are thinking the same, so did you upgrade or are you going too?

/ back blade question/advice #4  
Haven't upgraded yet. I'm going to pursue the "cheap" method first. There has been a lot of talk on here about using cut rubber horse mats and other items to "extend" the length of a blade and allow the blade to push snow further off the driveway. I've done all my course landscaping now (when I could have used a heavier duty blade) and pretty much just use the blade for snow. I'd rather spend $50 bucks on an experiment trying to lengthen the blade than buy a new one at this point. Never know what will happen down the road though. I do need something other than this blade to improve and maintain the gravel driveway....just not sure if that should be a back blade or a box blade.

Kevin