Backhoes?

/ Backhoes? #1  

Nat

Platinum Member
I'm fixing to build a new house and am going to buy a backhoe to have around to dig,lift,grade,ect. I have owned several hoes before, so ain't totally ignorant, but still have some questions. I looked at a ford 555B, a 580C case, and a 310A JD. All were rough,beat up, put up wet to many times. I have a line on a 3400 ford, a 535 ford, and a 545 ford. I don't know anything about either, but I have owned a 4500 ford. Can anyone give me a comparison, or the differences? Any thing you know about any of these is more than I know about them. Any help will be appreciated, Nat

/ Backhoes? #2  
Nat I own a 3550 Ford hoe it wass a between size of the 3400, 3500 and 4000 Ford hoes you sit kinda low in it as its an industrial tractor meant to have a back hoe or landscape box on it. The 535 and 545 I think had the late model drive train like the newer machines and had a unitized frame. I used to operate a 535 for a company but i cant remeber alot about it.

/ Backhoes?
I appreciate the help. I will use the hoe for around a year while building and then sell it. I think for resale, I'd be better off to stick with one of the mainstays, ie 555-580-310. I'm going to check another 555 Ford today. I went yesterday and looked at a 3400. I called before going and asked what kind of shape it was in. I asked pointed questions about tires, slop, paint, any breaks/welds and was told it looked nice, good tires,not torn up.
Well, what you are told and what you see are 2 different things. The last 2 times it had been painted was with a brush and latex paint that was peeling off in sheets 3" across, Didn't have any tires that matched, seat was homemade, loaded frame had been broken and a piece of angle iron welded across the break, front bucket didn't have a cutting edge.
He said he would let it go for, get this, 8500.00
I just left, will continue looking

/ Backhoes? #4  
Where are you located i have afew friends that are dealers they get a few good bargain trade ins. I fancy a 555 myself Ive run most backhoe makes in the dit moving business, Im thinking of next spring buying a newer machine myself Looked at a brandnew Terex/Fermec MF hoe for 39,000. Dad asked is I was gonna sell the old Ford I told him iI couldnt part with something that never let me down lol. Ill keep my eyes out for a few here.

/ Backhoes?
I'm in the center of NC. Like you, I have run most anything with a seat,loaders,hoes, dozers,ect. I like running a hoe the least, seems I get bored sitting in the same place. I like running a track loader best, but it beats you up the most.
I think I found the hoe I'll buy, a 555. I'll need to paint it, but it has good rubber, runs and works good and the price is ok
Later Nat

/ Backhoes? #6  
What do you think of the new Terex machines? I've seen a few around but I havn't been able to kick the tires sort o' speak.... Seem like a decent value if they stay around...

/ Backhoes? #7  
I like the Terex machines pretty good i havent got to operate one much but one dealers said the Newholland, Cat and Terex all shared the same front axle and perkins engine. Im thinking about my next purchase being the Terex. Im thinking of going to South Haven MS in a few weeks to try a few out they are about the same size as the 416 Cats and weight about 15,000 pounds. I just want a 4x4 with 4 in 1 bucket and extendahoe with the open cab. I got to operate akobelco backhoe for a friend that contracted fuel tank removals. Fermec/MF made theire hoes. It was heavy but as comfortable as a Ford/NH. Terex also has a very nice financing plan.

/ Backhoes? #8  
Many thanks...

Keep us posted on your findings and the dealer... The closest one to me is Memphis so Southaven isn't much farther.

/ Backhoes? #9  
Fermec makes the Terex backhoe... mainly because Terex bought that company. Interesting Fermec used to be a CNH company. Terex and CNH must have something going; Schaeff makes both their excavators (or did).

Terex machines are not bad especially given their price. I don't know how well they hold their value (too early to tell), but they are rugged and powerful machines. Can't go wrong with one.

As far as Cat, NH, and Terex using the same engine and axle... I don't know about the axle but Cat's line uses the 3054, which is a Cat engine, not a Perkins engine. Also NH does not use Perkins as it is owned by Cat; they (I believe) have a market-share agreement with Cummins.

/ Backhoes? #10  
Sorry about the confusion, the axles were the only thing the same in the Terex machines. A friend of mine that owns a late 90s Cat hoe told me his had the same engine as the new Terex machinesand I thought he was talking about his newest 416.