Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I'm sure many of you folks have experienced the scenario when backing up to attach a trailer: The vehicle is facing toward the sun leaving a shadow over the hitch ball area making it very difficult to see on the monitor.

Wondering if it would be effective replacing the license plate lights with LED's bright enough to remove the shadow? Anyone tried this?

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #2  
LED's would probably be better than the stock license plate lights, but I doubt there would enough difference to help much. Maybe spot of something like red paint on top of the hitch ball would help??

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #3  
I have the same problem with a gooseneck hitch. I have a black bed liner and a black trailer. I painted white reference points in a few places and a white mark on the tongue. The contrast seems to be the key and works well.

I also have a glare problem when the sun is shining on the lens and haven't figured that one out yet.

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #4  
Add a separate light that comes on with the backup lights.

Or get a magnetic battery light. Use it when you need it.

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #5  
Put some reflective tape around the shaft near the ball. I expect anything you put ON the ball itself will get wiped off.

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow
Add a separate light that comes on with the backup lights.

Or get a magnetic battery light. Use it when you need it.
I ordered a small LED to mount where one of the license plate lamps is currently and will report back with the results when its installed.

Put some reflective tape around the shaft near the ball. I expect anything you put ON the ball itself will get wiped off.
That's a good idea except this camera is custom mounted up above on the tailgate so it wouldn't "see" the reflective tape from that angle. The camera was designed to attach to the license plate mount but its very hard to judge distance especially with wide angle lens at that angle.

/ Backup Camera--Can't See Ball When In Shadow #8  
I ordered a small LED to mount where one of the license plate lamps is currently and will report back with the results when its installed.
I replaced both of my LPLs with these. They are extremely bright--Even in daylight. My problem is the truck is raised and I usually need a dropped ball. My camera is just below the tailgate so I can't even see the ball. I thought about getting a magnetic mirror to put on a trailer but I'd need someone to help adjust it. I just have him/her guide me instead. :giggle:

I modified my camera and made this adjustable mount to aim down to make it easier to see distance remaining between trailer hitch and the ball when backing. Can be easily adjusted to face to the rear for normal backup and driving.
Still need to paint the bracket and port the cable directly into the tailgate to "dress it up".

Attachments

• BACK-UP-CAMERA-1.jpg
    BACK-UP-CAMERA-1.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 112
Notice the banged up license plate from not having a backup camera previously. :)