Bad alternator? (4110)

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #1  

patchfarm

Tractor
None
We're having issues with our 4110, where the battery keeps dying after a couple days of use. I just charged the battery up to 12.28V, hooked up a multimeter to the terminals, and started it up. The meter immediately dropped down to about 11.70v, and then after about 10-15 seconds slowly climbed back up but never got back up to more than 12.20v. My understanding is this likely means the alternator is not working and so every time we start/use the tractor, we're just draining the battery until it no longer has enough oomph to start up. Any other ways I can be sure it's the alternator before replacing? Also, if it is the alternator, any suggestions on where to get a new or reman one? Thanks.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #2  
Alternators usually put out 13.5v-14.8v. If after starting the meter at the battery isn't at least 13.5v I would troubleshoot the charging circuit. It could be the alternator or voltage regulator. Keep in mind that some alternators have separate regulators, some don't.

/ Bad alternator? (4110)
I had only charged the battery to about 70% according to my charger, so perhaps that's also accounting for it only starting at 12.2? I can charge it fully and see what it reads then.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #4  
can also put a clamp on meter on the charge line, but if the voltage isn't over 13v, its not charging., and it can be a variety of reasons, beside the alternator itself.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #5  
Normal charged battery voltage should be about 12.6 volts. Start by charging your battery and having it load tested. It does sound as though your alternator has issues but before tearing into it clean your battery terminals and connectors. Tighten the connectors. If you can turn or move the connector it's not tight. Follow the ground cable to the frame. It should be clean and tight. As far as the alternator goes, take it to a shop which repaires starters and alternators. They can either repair it or find a suitable replacement - usually for far less than the dealer wants. They can also tell you if the voltage regulator is inside the alternator or external.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #6  
Based on this description it's internal regulator. If you are reading battery voltage when running it's time for a new alternator.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #7  
I had similar issues for a long time and would suggest that you check the fusible links. I wish someone had told to check mine before purchasing a new alternator. It turned out that in my case it was the red fusible link that was burned out.

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #8  
Every time I've had alternator problems, what I've really had was wiring harness problems. In each case, once I found the fault in the wiring, the alternator worked as it should. Yes, some alternators have an external regulator. I've heard, though have never proven, that welding on the tractor with the regulator plugged in is not good for them. I thought I had done this, so I bought a new reg, it didn't work either. I should have checked the wiring. Once I repaired that, both regulators worked!

Yes, charge the battery. With the charger off and the battery in good condition, you should see a voltage between 12.1 and 12.5. When you start the engine, the voltage should climb to more than 14. If it climbs noticeably, but to 13 to 13.5, probably your alternator is working, but you have another fault. If the battery won't hold 12 volts after a good charge, either it's baffed, or you have a shorted cell. If you're seeing a strong 10 volts, and the engine will start, it's probably a shorted cell. A starter motor will work decently well on less than 12 volts, if there's lots of current available.

/ Bad alternator? (4110)
So, I replaced the battery (and battery cable clamps so they'd be nice and tight) and replaced the alternator, and what resulted was different starting issues. I'll try to be concise:

About a week ago, while snowblowing, the tractor died. I was able to restart it, but the PTO wouldn't work. I checked the PTO 15a fuse in the fuse box, and it had blown. Swapped it out and good to go again. Then the next time I tried to use it, went to start it, and it sounded like the starter was just spinning and obviously not engaging. Took the starter out, bench tested it and same thing, spun fine but wouldn't move up the shaft. So I took it apart, cleaned the gears and whatnot, and regreased with dry grease. Eventually enough of that and I got the starter to spin and move up on the bench, so reinstalled it, and was able to get the tractor going. Just in time for our last big snow storm.

Well, while out snowblowing, I had the same previous issue happen twice. Suddenly stopped working while snowblowing, checked the 15a fuse, replaced again. Got through the rest of snow removal but now trying to start it again I was getting the same starter spinning noise at first. Charged the battery up good (12.89v at the terminals) and nothing. Tried jumping it with a screwdriver at the starter terminals, and it would just spin spin spin. After a couple attempts of that, no more starter spinning at all, and just a buzzing noise at the dash and a buzzing noise from a relay mounted up near the horn above the battery. Now I get NO POWER at all, no lights, no glow plugs, nothing. Completely dead.

This morning I took the ground off the frame, cleaned it up with an angle grinder and tightened it down, didn't help. Still no power. Fuses are not blown, everything seems good. Using a test light, got it to go on at the battery posts, but when I try it on the starter, no light.

Any advice???? I'm at a loss. The Mahindra manual I have is virtually useless..

/ Bad alternator? (4110) #10  
Check belt for slippage?

Battery may be bad or a bad cell.

Rebuild alternator