Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #241  
A retired co-worker of mine, was severely mauled on his arms, legs and scalp, by four wild dogs when he was out jogging. He lives in a rural area, and the dogs were left behind when a nearby marijuana "farmer" was arrested.

Last edited:
   / Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #242  
Maybe not ‘mean’, but many dog breeds are born aggressive and/or more pack oriented. I can’t count the number of people I know that have Rottweilers that tell me ”The dog is great with our kids, but won’t let other kids…..“ or “The dog is great with our family, but if it doesn’t know someone it...” The breed has the traits that make it a good guard dog… anything outside of the pack is suspicious to it.

Sure, you’ll find 10 people for every 1 that’ll tell you their rottie is a big baby. Go poke their kid and make them scream and see what that dog does. If there are 2+ dogs, you’re screwed, because when one sees the other go off it’s a trigger.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #243  
I had a friend completely scalped by an Akita, nice dog. HE was rough housing with the 160 lbs dog and she told him to stop as did the dogs owner several times. One snap later he was skinned from the eye brows to the base of the skull. Nothing wrong with the dog just the dude with no dog sense, I would trust that dog with my kids any day. Watched a kid get bit by an Akita, that dog was sound asleep behind the bleachers a youth tournament. One of the kids playing on the bleacher fell of the highest bench right on top of the dog. Got bit once then dog backed away as far as the leash would no other signs of aggression. I don't own an Akita and never have, same goes for pits, but if that is considered an aggressive dog it just wrong.

I do own a pack of Great Pyrenees/Karakachan and Great Pyrenees/ Anatolian. Great dogs but if they perceive you are a threat they will intervene. They are not city pets and don't act the part. You just have to see a 6' dog high stepping around a yippy aggressive dog they know is allowed, yet bring you a shredded 50 lbs bobcat or coyote that was in the pasture.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #245  
Exactly, it's the capacity of the dog for damage, if or when it makes a mistake or "goes off". Imagine a 150# Chihuahua.
Geeze, that sums up my neighbors perfectly. They have 4-5 dogs over there. Black lab is a sweetheart. Young male German Shepard looks terrifying, comes over, jumps at your face, slobbers your mouth with his tongue and goes to find a ball to bring you. Just needs a bit more training, but a good pup. White mixed breed looks skittish and fearful. I wouldn’t trust it. But the one that causes me the most grief is the Chihuahua. If I step out of my back door and it sees me, it comes charging over barking and growling aggressively. If the gate is open, it’ll run right in and bark at me on my back steps. If I move towards it, it always stays about 4’ away, barking and growling. It’ll follow me to my car, down to the mailbox, etc. The owners will come running out and grab it and apologize. I don’t fear that little dog. But I don’t turn my back on it, as I don’t want my ankles bit.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #247  
I actually looked it up, seems that pit bulls and anything that looks like pit to somebody is banned. I would guess about 30+ breeds plus mixed breeds. Seems pretty broad, yet dog bites went up not down. People that want bad dogs will find one to train no matter the breed. Here in the US Cane Presario and Dogo Argentino are becoming popular with the old pit crowd. 3 times the size of a pit and are a handful, but they are not a pit.....
I'm not a pit fan boy, but banning all lookalikes is like banning a race over a few bad actors.
Then again your owner just banished pretty much all firearms, I don't believe the shootings will drop at all either.

Not trying to change anybody's mind, trying to comprehend. I do not believe you can legislate safety, just remove freedoms.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #248  
I actually looked it up, seems that pit bulls and anything that looks like pit to somebody is banned. I would guess about 30+ breeds plus mixed breeds. Seems pretty broad, yet dog bites went up not down. People that want bad dogs will find one to train no matter the breed. Here in the US Cane Presario and Dogo Argentino are becoming popular with the old pit crowd. 3 times the size of a pit and are a handful, but they are not a pit.....
I'm not a pit fan boy, but banning all lookalikes is like banning a race over a few bad actors.
Then again your owner just banished pretty much all firearms, I don't believe the shootings will drop at all either.

Not trying to change anybody's mind, trying to comprehend. I do not believe you can legislate safety, just remove freedoms.
Read the banned breed section in a rental lease with some of the local property managers.

They list Pit Bulls and wolf hybrids. In parenthesis under wolf hybrid they list German shepherds, Australian shepherds, huskies, Siberian huskies, Akitas, chows, sharpais, and about 10 other breeds. Doesn't matter if they have any wolf or not. They just have to resemble one.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #249  
Yup them sharpais look just like a wolf. Funny a recent study decided rough collies (Lassie) is the most aggressive dog breed. Out here a deputy sheriff shot a chihuahua in a pet carrier/kennel because it scared her by barking. Not a dog person I assume.

To each their own but I deal with a lot of strange dogs and the little ones are more likely to bite.

/ Bad Dogs Bad Neighbor #250  
Geeze, that sums up my neighbors perfectly. They have 4-5 dogs over there. Black lab is a sweetheart. Young male German Shepard looks terrifying, comes over, jumps at your face, slobbers your mouth with his tongue and goes to find a ball to bring you. Just needs a bit more training, but a good pup. White mixed breed looks skittish and fearful. I wouldn’t trust it. But the one that causes me the most grief is the Chihuahua. If I step out of my back door and it sees me, it comes charging over barking and growling aggressively. If the gate is open, it’ll run right in and bark at me on my back steps. If I move towards it, it always stays about 4’ away, barking and growling. It’ll follow me to my car, down to the mailbox, etc. The owners will come running out and grab it and apologize. I don’t fear that little dog. But I don’t turn my back on it, as I don’t want my ankles bit.
Get one of those large squirt guns. A good shot of water in the face will usually eliminate a problem with a dog.