Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #1  

BX23S-1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I was curious as to why we see problems with diesel fuel today. So i did some snooping around and ran across this link that seemed very informative.
I thought it was worth sharing with those who dont know why Biocide is used. It helped me understand alot more about why we see Biocide being used alot more today.
Now that i know why its important to use Biocide to treat the diesel fuels we use... with sulfur being removed, which use to kill bacteria, now the bacteria can grow rapidly unless treated.
Sulfur is like an acid, (which would kill bacteria) and now the EPA wants it ALL removed, for the sake of cleaner emissions. I`m going to start using the Biocide before i end up with problems i dont want.

You`ll love the part in there about the tanker trucks in how they are contaminating the diesel fuel too.

Low Sulphur Diesel Problems: Corrosion in Storage and Dispensing
Low Sulphur Diesel Problems: Corrosion in Storage and Dispensing

Anyway, hope this helps some people understand it better, that dont know. It sure helped ME understand it better! ;)

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #2  
Thanks for the link, PaPow, very informative.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #3  
Years ago with normal diesel when you got water in your fuel storage tanks it would make weak sulfuric acid which would corrode the tank from the inside out.
Most leaky fuel tanks had actually rotted out from the inside to the out. And occasionally you would have a biologic problem. The biocides available then were also much more effective then todays are.
I had not thought about the ethanal contamination factor.
Just another thing to thank the epa for.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel
Thanks for the link, PaPow, very informative.

You`re welcome Mike... i don`t really know for sure how 100% true all the facts are in there, but it sure made enough sense to me anyway.
Someone like me, thats not a powerhouse full of knowledge on diesels, i could only think that it could help people understand it a little easier.

But what i do know, is that ethanol attracts moisture bigtime. So if its getting mixed into the diesel fuels, this is not good, and will lead to alot bigger problems, and quickly.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel
I had not thought about the ethanal contamination factor.
Just another thing to thank the epa for.

No doubt Lou, i hadn`t even give that a thought either.
And what about all the depots that drop fuel into these tanker trucks where they dumped way more ethanol into the tankers by accident, and its not cleared out. I bet it happens alot more than we even know.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #6  
But what i do know, is that ethanol attracts moisture bigtime. So if its getting mixed into the diesel fuels, this is not good, and will lead to a lot bigger problems, and quickly.

Please be aware diesel fuel is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. So even without ethanol there can be an issue.

Please be aware diesel fuel is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. So even without ethanol there can be an issue.

Yeah i knew that, but now its even worse today.
And think about how much diesel is getting mixed into gasoline as well!

This ethanol garbage needs to go away permanently. It cause`s alot more problems than its worth.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #8  
Ive never added anything to diesel storage tank, and I’ve been running diesel pickups, tractors and misc equipment exclusively since 1994. I’m not sure why other parts of the country have issues, but I’ve personally never had any here in Pacific Northwest.

Ive never added anything to diesel storage tank, and I’ve been running diesel pickups, tractors and misc equipment exclusively since 1994. I’m not sure why other parts of the country have issues, but I’ve personally never had any here in Pacific Northwest.

You`re likely running on borrowed time my friend. Or you`re just lucky, for now.

/ Bad Fuel - Contaminated Fuel - Why we`re seeing more Biocide used for Treating Fuel #10  
You`re likely running on borrowed time my friend. Or you`re just lucky, for now.
No, I think it’s because a heck of a lot of folks here run diesel rigs. I get my fuel at truck stop. I doubt that fuel sits in tank very long.