Bad Product at Tractor Supply.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #31  
Are we sure a camp fire will have high enough temp to burn it off? Gee, for $40 we we might need to get one for our camp....
Get a big enough fire going in there and you can turn it cherry red. Been there done that with a semi-truck rim.
I see nothing in that link that suggests that exposure to "campfire" temperature ranges will result in any hazard whatsoever, and my galvanized fire ring has not even discolored after years of use.
You must have small campfires then. I remember when I was in Boy Scouts, we used to get the semi truck rim that was used as a fire ring red hot when we got a good fire going.

Aaron Z

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #32  
Get a big enough fire going in there and you can turn it cherry red. Been there done that with a semi-truck rim.You must have small campfires then. I remember when I was in Boy Scouts, we used to get the semi truck rim that was used as a fire ring red hot when we got a good fire going.

Aaron Z
As we were standing around our lunch fire a former coworker used to quip" Red man build small fire, stand close. White man build big fire, stand far away."

I build white man fires.

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #33  
As we were standing around our lunch fire a former coworker used to quip" Red man build small fire, stand close. White man build big fire, stand far away."

I build white man fires.
I use to work with a guy that only had 1/2 a lung due to welding galvanized. When I saw this fire ring I ask the manger if it came with a health warning n" not to heat galvanized as it can kill you" got a deer in the headlights look and "If it was not safe we could not sell it

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #34  
We have a name on TBN for people who'd buy a galvanized fire ring...ROPS drillers!

/ Bad Product at Tractor Supply. #35  
Get a big enough fire going in there and you can turn it cherry red. Been there done that with a semi-truck rim.You must have small campfires then. I remember when I was in Boy Scouts, we used to get the semi truck rim that was used as a fire ring red hot when we got a good fire going.

Aaron Z

Steel cherry red is ~1300 Deg F., which is about tops for a wood fire. Charcoal can hit ~2000 Deg F. To get either hotter you have to add Oxygen like LOX or some serious stoking. We're 1000 Deg F short of melting by my math.

20180806_203506.jpg

This was clearly a "red man" fire, just big enough to cook the brats.

Last edited: