Ballasting calculations

/ Ballasting calculations
Hmmmm. I gotta admit, that excel program is probably what I was looking for. There is a second page to this - it is a page where you collect, compute & log all the variables. Once page two is finished then by substitution into correct areas of page one you can come up with an answer. I know from experience that just going out, firing up the tractor and lifting things of varying weights, you will come up with a supremely correct answer a lot sooner. It took me over a week to figure out the entire situation. It was only because my son looked at it and understood it and told me I was correct that I knew that I had stumbled into the answer. Thanks for looking, finding & posting GManBart.

/ Ballasting calculations #24  
Simple rule of thumb is 1-1.5x the loader lift capacity as ballast. Split between the tire fill, wheel weights and 3pt. About 1/2 of the ballast on the 3pt. That will at least get you close.

As others have said, the task impacts the ballast amount and location. A full loader will lighten the rear tires, where a bottom plow or big disc will lighten the front. Fer example... My TLB has a 5000 pound loader lift to full height. Filled tires add about 600# (partial filled), wheel weights add 1200# and the hoe is over 3000 pounds. That's essentially the same as the lift capacity, and it's still light in the rear with a full bucket due to geometry. This shows up when filling a front bucket and having to back up a hill. Flat out, it don't! Why? The front weight is farther out front than the rear weight is out back, so it teeter-totter's around the front axle. But after dumping the bucket, backing down a hill is scary as the front gets light! Just can't be perfect for all things all the time!

/ Ballasting calculations
Thanks john_bud,
I was hoping there was a general rule of thumb. I don't think I have enough brain power to try that excel spread sheet again. I have 1500# of rim guard and 710# of roll over box blade. - I took off the rear blade as it was only 565#. This will get me started and if it gets light I'll just add to the 3-point.