Bandsaw Sawmill

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
I've spent the last couple of nights, surfing this forum, and the web for ideas on building a bandsaw mill. It really looks kind of straight forward. A carriage that will hold a 12-16hp gas engine powering a pair of tires, with the ability to raise/lower, and run along an "ever-so-straight, and flat" 12'-14' rail system. I've learned that there's more to it that that, blade guides, tensioning, alignment etc. but it doesn't look insumountable. Any thoughts on websites, links, etc that would narrow my search? Thanks in advance. ~Scotty

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #4  
Since you are right in Buffalo, you might want to drive over by the airport and check out the Norwood Lumberlite? It is a kit you have to assemble and provide the base for, but it is hard to beat the price by making yourself unless you have all the parts already. I'm alot more interested in making my own sharpener and setter, they cost half of what the mill does and there isn't really much to them besides some smart engineering).

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #5  
Check out Hud Son they have a web site there main branch is in upstate NY. I bought the oscar 28{now called the 228}. It's been a great little machine done more then I ever thought it would. If I had to do it again I would have just bought the power head and made the rail system myself. I ended up adding an extra 10' would have been just as easy and cheaper just to build the rail myself, instead of adding on.

You are also correct that there is more to it then just a blade clutch an engine. I have seen many home built version some good, and some might get the job done but sloppy. Without everything properly alined and running true you'll be cutting wavy wood, lopsided wood, pinching blades etc. Go to one of the demo days where they have bandsaws setup, they usually let people try them out.

I also have to agree Onthesauk about the forestry forum much advise. They are somewhat negative towards HUD SON though because Hud Son won't sponser their site. The aboristsite is okay but they lean more towards chainsaw mills, not nearly as efficient as even the smaller scale bandsaw mills.

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #6  
I looked into building one. Try Linn lumber Mills (linnlumber.com). They sell parts/kits that seemed the best way to go for me.

Reggie

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #7  
I once cut 2,000 board feet of cedar on a bandsaw mill and was AMAZED at how easy it was....and how well the mill worked.

My buddies saw was made by some guys in Lincoln, Montana. Unsure if they have a site ..... have NO idea about the mills the others have suggested either. I simply wanted to mention that this guys mill DID work VERY well.

mailto:mtsawmill@linctel.net found their e mail anyway.

FN in MT

/ Bandsaw Sawmill
Thanks Guys for your input. moeh1- I went there (Norwood) today! They've got awesome mills and brochere's! Downside is, the LumberLite 24" Mid-size, starts at $2.900- w/8hp Briggs, or $3490- with a 9hp honda. That a little more than I want to invest right now. 20-20, No question Hud-Son is an industry leader. Fn in Mt- I'll shoot them an e-mail. Reggie- I'm surfin' over to LinnLumber right now! Just seems like I could put something together for ?? $1500-??. Also would be a good winter project that I could work on inside. I just don't feel right, if I don't have a project goin'! Thanks all! ~Scotty
PS- This site if interesting: Sawmill plans online
Plans for 'buy', but no-charge for shopping for ideas! :D
Edit FN in MT- That e-mail bounced back! Reggie- Great Site! I've got some reading to do! TNX! ~S

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #9  
Scotty, you are where I stopped a while ago. May sure you watch all the small parts cost, they kept creeping up on me to the point where a small unit like the lumberlite (or the oscar mentioned) seemed a better deal. Depends on what you have laying around and what your time is worth.
If you build one and want a follow up project let me know. I would love to collaborate on a sharpener, they are an area for some real money savings. I started some thoughts on a CBN machine but right now work is killing me....

/ Bandsaw Sawmill #10  
i really like my Lumbermate 2000 but I haven't even had a chance to use it, yet. I have to finish the trailer kit. They wanted 1200-1400 for a trailer kit.....I doubt I have 300 in my kit.

Putting it together was a task but straight forward with their book....