"bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #1  

BertZegers

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900, Zetor 8011, Kubota KX41Excavator, John Deere 4400 Combine, Case 1816C skidsteer
imagesXBSTA69R.jpg

I would like to use a 12 volt directional control valve on my tractor to actuate a hydraulic cylinder. (for automatic leveling using laser) I am afraid the "bang bang" effect is causing damage to the hydraulics of the tractor. The hydraulics are open center.

Advice very appreciated.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #2  
bang bang = water hammering effect. (swaps out water for hyd oil) same thing. just different fluid.

for "closed center" hydraulic setups they most like have *meh i forget the keyword* it is basically a hydraulic cylinder. one side hydraulic oil comes in/out through a single pipe, and on the other side it is gas filled or a spring is inserted. this setup acts kinda like a "pressure well tank" or a "water hammer resister". and helps keep pressure in the system when pump is not on. or in case of water hammer resister. helps reduce water hammering effect.

though i would imagine hydraulics on a tractor are more built to deal with "water hammering effect" that the tractor /unit could possible produce. thicker / stronger pipe walls, stronger metal for valves, higher pressure rated hyd hoses.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics.
I know that sometimes a nitrogen filled hydraulic accumulator is used for smooth performance and shock protection. But I wonder if this is needed for my application.

Modern big tractors have electric valves for clutch, shifting, PTO, front wheel assist, differential lock and so on. Are they special valves or standard directional control valves?

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #4  
that is the word "accumulator" adding one between valves and FEL or backhoe or what ever, most likely bad idea. those hyd cylinders / hoses / pipes should be geared already to withstand stuff. from dealing with gravel driveways, to all the dirt. and constantly causing shock within the system. that and adding an accumulator between valves and what ever would most likely cause issues. of things moving on there own when you do not want them to move. and most likely cause "bouncing"

adding an accumulator between the pump and valves on other hand, might be a different story. and help with the smoothness of operation.

i am no tech person. and making it up as i go along. take it for what it is worth to ya.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #5  
View attachment 439799

I would like to use a 12 volt directional control valve on my tractor to actuate a hydraulic cylinder. (for automatic leveling using laser) I am afraid the "bang bang" effect is causing damage to the hydraulics of the tractor. The hydraulics are open center.

Advice very appreciated.

If I read what you said above, you're already using a bang/bang valve, and suspect it may be doing hydraulic system damage, correct?
If so, why not just remove it so no further damage or potential for damage occurs?
Me: no expert either, just a thought.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics.
No, I am not using this.

I have a attachment in mind for land leveling that would connect to the quick connects. It would have a 12 volt directional control valve.
I would like to know of using this electric directional control valve is damaging to the tractor hydraulics.

The directional control valve looks like this;
imagesXBSTA69R.jpg

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #7  
That looks like a standard solenoid control valve and probably has a subplate that bolts under it that the hoses hook to. They do come in Normally open and Normally closed and lots of different sizes. The hydraulic oil moves thru the subplate and the electric solenoid just moves the spools the same as pushing/pulling a lever on a standard control valve. I have used that type of valve on lots of projects. You can buy subplates that allow multiple solenoids and multiple circuits to operate off one single hydraulic source. I operate a lot of very expensive equipment that has dozens of such valves on it and have never had a problem.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #8  
No, I am not using this.

I have a attachment in mind for land leveling that would connect to the quick connects. It would have a 12 volt directional control valve.
I would like to know of using this electric directional control valve is damaging to the tractor hydraulics.

The directional control valve looks like this;
View attachment 439844

Since there are millions of them in use on tractors now for 3rd function controls on FEL's and such and we never seem to hear about destruction of hydraulic systems from using them and many OEM suppliers like JD and Kubota install them and call them their own, I am thinking you don't have anything to worry about.

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #9  
There is always more than one way to "skin a cat" - and in this case, it would be the CONTROLLER that determines how much extra wear and tear your hydraulics would see - if you already have a specific controller in mind, pics and links would be useful... Steve

/ "bang bang" effect on tractor hydraulics. #10  
Since there are millions of them in use on tractors now for 3rd function controls on FEL's and such and we never seem to hear about destruction of hydraulic systems from using them and many OEM suppliers like JD and Kubota install them and call them their own, I am thinking you don't have anything to worry about.

^^^^^
This. James said it best...