Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Us Mail had electric delivery vehicles 50 years ago. Nothing new there.
In 1979 UPS had an electric brown truck on regular delivery route in Huntsville, AL. Trademark UPS brown truck, not a tin box painted brown. Solid state controls did not exist then the way we take for granted today. Truck rolled down the road with large contractors clacking for speed control.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
I'm not in a rush to buy an Electric Vehicle - BUT I expect at some point in the future it could happen. That would be a 50% reduction of ICE vehicles in my household. That is what the transition to EVs could look like. The major auto manufacturers and tractor manufacturers are investing in the design and development of EVs.

The naysayers aren't upset because they think EVs may come to pass, but because they know they will.

#2,326  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
I'm not in a rush to buy an Electric Vehicle - BUT I expect at some point in the future it could happen. That would be a 50% reduction of ICE vehicles in my household. That is what the transition to EVs could look like. The major auto manufacturers and tractor manufacturers are investing in the design and development of EVs.

The naysayers aren't upset because they think EVs may come to pass, but because they know they will.
While Tesla has cut the energy required per mile year over year I expect their new factories coming on line the 4th quarter of 2023 will be even more efficient and the vehicles less expensive. While the Model Y sells for more than a Model 3 today it's reported the Model Y with the same features as the Model 3 costs Tesla $10K less to build today. Moving to Giga castings is cutting cost to build new factories and new EVs. Tesla seems to have worked through parked EV battery fires. GM seems to be gaining parked battery fire experience. Ford seems to be trailing behind on EV experience. That 1800 pound F-150 battery fully charged will contain a lot of energy.

BY 2030 EVs will get little news coverage as is the case with SpaceX launches today.

PuffyC

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 3032e
BY 2030 EVs will get little news coverage as is the case with SpaceX launches today.
I don't get this either. SpaceX is doing what just a few years ago would have been seen as a mixture of sci-fi fantasy and witchcraft yet most people have no clue and don't really seem to care. Makes you appreciate how rare real visionaries are.

The landing starting at the 3:00 minute mark is the best part.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Then theres the debate "is CO2 a pollutant". The EPA doesn't think so.
Heck I would go so far to say Oxygen could be a pollutant if it was way out of whack with respect to the chemical make up of our air.