Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
There definitely will need to be a lot of thought put into the decision to go EV or not and the fewer vehicles owned the better since the clocks continue to click away on a battery even if it is not driven as much.

There is some truth to that in an ICE engine too, but if I drive them once a week or so I never have had a problem.

As for ICE engine failures, I have been fortunate. Never a major engine repair ever and I have been driving for a long time. I had a timing belt break at an intersection once if that counts.
One of our cars, a Malibu with an ecotec engine, broke a timing chain guide or gear, and since it's an interference engine, it ate the valves. Toast!

The other, an Impala with a 3.6 LFX engine had something similar go wrong in the valve timing and ate that engine as well. Toast!

I've only had two vehicles with interference engines and both interfered! :cautious:

Now I have a third in my new to me 2003 Suburban. Fingers crossed. 😬

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3, Kubota M9000 HD, Kubota Sidekick UTE
If these electric trucks are the planet saving miracle they are touted to be, you’d think there would be people competing to give them capital or low interest loans to build them.
Maybe the people with money to invest are smarter than posters like Gale Hawkins.... :p

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
That reminds me of the time BIL took a small kicker boat out on the straits of Juan de Fuca during high tide going west. Tide turned and he almost got swept out to sea. That was a gas boat.
The electric boat that that was rescued off the edge of the dam had a top speed of 5MPH.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Operator error

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
i can only imagine the size of the solar panel and battery storage needed to charge a bunch of tesla cars at the same time. personally i cant see how they can do it. holy cow, $5k in power bills. that sucks. i average about $150 per month... higher in summer,lower in winter. i just have not seen the figures on paper to justify solar at my home. but if i was forking out $5k i would sharpen the pencil.

my customers here that are on solar generally sink $40 grand into the systems (i have placed generators on their systems). it would take me nearly 23 years to recoup the money, and before then id be needing panel repairs and new batteries.
You are quite correct, but those who act or think like Prius owners don't really care about the initial cost.
For them, it is often about virtue signaling!

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E