Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,501  
Yes
It is a pain however because cables are only 20 ft long so every 40 ft you have to disconnect and connect to the next one up the line.
Are the EV cables slinky type where the snap back to the next driver? I would like to see a video. Crazy. :oops:

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,502  
Are the EV cables slinky type where the snap back to the next driver? I would like to see a video. Crazy. :oops:
Maybe they're just in the parking lot after all :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,503  
You aren’t considering off grid applications.
Well said, all of this post of yours.

You'd have no way of knowing it, but you are Preaching to the Choir.

Late '80s, I worked for a company that designed and built PV production equipment. Our major clients were in India, and China - even back then, they wanted to own their own PV supply chain, top to bottom, but most importantly, their own energy production. I've been following HomePower for about that long too.

PV energy has come a very long way since then, and I welcome it - as one option in the energy toolbox.

Remote area, high line-in cost (as you personally described) has always been a top reason for going PV. Cost efficiency is now driving it into broader applications.

For many people, the grid is kinda like being a tiny kid with two parents - they are just "there", and what they do day-to-day and the fact that one day they won't be there, never crosses your mind...

I lobbed in a softball with my recent post, and you knocked out at least a 2-base run with it.......... And, that was exactly where I was trying to go with my point....... The grid has more vulnerabilities than most people realize.

I don't think it was in this thread, but ultrarunner has posted about surgeons coming up to him at the hospital he engineers for, asking for advice. They were wealthy enough to afford multiple Teslas (only) at home, and large PV arrays on their expensive houses.

What they didn't know (it obviously was not an issue of affordability), was that the grid-tied arrays they liked to gloat about not costing them anything to drive with could be set up in Island mode.

When Cali did the lengthy preemptive Safety Shutdowns, these surgeons had Teslas sitting in their driveways and large PV arrays on their mansions, but no (turn-key) way to charge the vehicle.

Advance knowledge - presents opportunity for better personal outcomes.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,504  
Well said, all of this post of yours.

You'd have no way of knowing it, but you are Preaching to the Choir.

Late '80s, I worked for a company that designed and built PV production equipment. Our major clients were in India, and China - even back then, they wanted to own their own PV supply chain, top to bottom, but most importantly, their own energy production. I've been following HomePower for about that long too.

PV energy has come a very long way since then, and I welcome it - as one option in the energy toolbox.

Remote area, high line-in cost (as you personally described) has always been a top reason for going PV. Cost efficiency is now driving it into broader applications.

For many people, the grid is kinda like being a tiny kid with two parents - they are just "there", and what they do day-to-day and the fact that one day they won't be there, never crosses your mind...

I lobbed in a softball with my recent post, and you knocked out at least a 2-base run with it.......... And, that was exactly where I was trying to go with my point....... The grid has more vulnerabilities than most people realize.

I don't think it was in this thread, but ultrarunner has posted about surgeons coming up to him at the hospital he engineers for, asking for advice. They were wealthy enough to afford multiple Teslas (only) at home, and large PV arrays on their expensive houses.

What they didn't know (it obviously was not an issue of affordability), was that the grid-tied arrays they liked to gloat about not costing them anything to drive with could be set up in Island mode.

When Cali did the lengthy preemptive Safety Shutdowns, these surgeons had Teslas sitting in their driveways and large PV arrays on their mansions, but no (turn-key) way to charge the vehicle.

Advance knowledge - presents opportunity for better personal outcomes.

Rgds, D.
Sometimes a little knowledge is a bad thing. Just because they have years of medical training it in no way means they understand other subjects to the same degree.
The electric company will not easily let go of our dependency on them. I wonder if anyone’s electric co allows Island mode?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,506  
The electric company will not easily let go of our dependency on them. I wonder if anyone’s electric co allows Island mode ?
I don't install PV systems commercially, but would like to think that as long as the installation is up to electrical code, and the Island capable Inverters have the correct UL etc approvals, it should be a go.

That said, I've learned to never underestimate govt's capacity to generate new crippling legislation. In Cali, it might be years and $$$$ just to get battery pack approved.

Grid-tie+Island Mode should be OK with any enlightened utility. It keeps a resident feeding power into the grid when things are normally operating, and allows them emergency (non ICE) backup when the grid is down.

That ^ keeps a citizen about where many utilities would like them to be today, and the benefit to the homeowner is that they only Have To size the battery pack for short-term emergencies, rather than continuous off-grid operation. You already know how much money that takes (y).

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#3,508  
Found this new potential battery tech.
It is simply amazing what will be out in the next 10 years. Over the years the light bulb went off that science fiction is not fiction at all but it is just a picture of future reality.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,509  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #3,510  
Next we will see Hooters Carhops on roller skates plugging in your EV before they take your order. All while you drool,,,, I mean dine in your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.