Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#5,791  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Can you put 50kwh into the car each night from solar?

If you have 1000 watts or 1 kw of solar, it would take 6.25 days of solar to charge a tesla battery.

I don't think there is enough roof space to charge a tesla each night. It would require 20, thousand watt arrays to charge a tesla in a 8 hour period.
Keep in mind your max hours of solar gains at best time of the year is about 5 hours.

Agvg

Elite Member
Tractor
Mf135, Ursus C-355, David Brown 995
Even here I live solar panels are popular, even it's not the most sunny place in the world, but so far I can't get the numbers to work when it comes to cost Vs savings, when enough old and cheap EV batteries is available and you can store energy it might be a better deal.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
I just saw a news report about the drought in the West, the over depletion of the Colorado River and the impact on desert farming in Arizona. Some farmers are trying exotic crops that require less water. Others are selling their land. I'm wondering, who would buy desert farmland with inadequate water? Answer: it is being converted to solar panel arrays.
Lots to unpack there, but Mark Twain said it best. "Whiskey's for drinking, Water's for fighting".

#5,794  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
I just saw a news report about the drought in the West, the over depletion of the Colorado River and the impact on desert farming in Arizona. Some farmers are trying exotic crops that require less water. Others are selling their land. I'm wondering, who would buy desert farmland with inadequate water? Answer: it is being converted to solar panel arrays.
Lots to unpack there, but Mark Twain said it best. "Whiskey's for drinking, Water's for fighting".
The next thing you know someone will call it man made climate change.

Over the eons of history that area has depopulated before. Fighting over water rights can be deadly. The lack of water is worldwide problem. Not sure solar panels and EVs are the long term fix.

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Not sure solar panels and EVs are the long term fix.
Top up your Koolaid Gale; you clearly haven't been drinking enough.

;) (I actually DO like EVs, for certain usage patterns).

Some of the irritation on this topic is definitely Carrrot and Stick related. Meaning.... we (Canadians at least) are going to get Beaten (even harder) with The Stick, so we take The Carrot.

Yesterday, I was startled a bit, by a # referenced in scheduled carbon taxes coming in the next year here. Call it +$1.00/gallon, and you won't be far off. Not that we have low cost fuel now....

If I was a neuro-surgeon (or some other 1%'er) and could just write a couple of cheques and load my compound with PV panels and a fleet of Teslas, I wouldn't consider this as a problem.....

Somebody started a BC Flood thread on here recently. I posted a video over there today, that was from engineers in 2020 re. the Fraser Valley floodplain. I knew about the 1948 flood there, but learned about the 1894 one in that vid - it was worse. Doubt there were many ICE vehicles in 1894.....

I'm not a Denier, but there is plenty of Cognitive Dissonance at play, on both sides of the story.....

(^ Not in your case Gale.... your open and inquisitive approach to these topics keeps me hanging out here.....)

Rgds, D.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925

I was simply curious about how desert land that can't be irrigated would be used, and who would find enough value in it to buy it.

PuffyC

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 3032e

I recently drove through New Mexico near White Sands and up through Albuquerque and I can’t even count the number of what looked like abandoned cattle ranches and farms. You could see tanks (farm ponds) that were long dry, windmill pumps left to rot, and no livestock in sight. That was virtually everywhere. I don’t know what the actual story is but it gave me the very distinct impression that this was all ag land back when there was water, but something happened and the water is now gone making it good for nothing except maybe the antelope.

#5,798  
OP
G

Gale Hawkins

Tractor

A Greenie turning Pro Nuclear after many years Ted Talk

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Abandoned Farms/Ranches..... lots of reasons, today.

Being Small, anywhere, is pretty tough.

The water in those SW areas may not be totally gone, but now expensive enough to access, that added to all the other input costs and overhead...... how long do you stay in the fields, tearing up $1,000 bills..... ?

Rgds, D.

Status
Not open for further replies.