Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,681  
John Hiatt has a song about that. Long time ago, band called little village.

Do you want a job.

About the Japanese dumping nuclear waste in the islands.

Good tune.

There are right ways to deal with nuclear wastes and wrong ways. I actually dislike this song because it makes it sound as if there are only wrong ways.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,682  
There are right ways to deal with nuclear wastes and wrong ways. I actually dislike this song because it makes it sound as if there are only wrong ways.
A lot of people seem to have that viewpoint, which is why nuclear hasn't been pursued the way it should have been over the last 40 years or so. I believe that oversight will come home to roost.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,683  
A lot of people seem to have that viewpoint, which is why nuclear hasn't been pursued the way it should have been over the last 40 years or so. I believe that oversight will come home to roost.
Already has to a point. Despite what the Pollyannas say, solar and other "renewable" power sources aren't going to replace fossil fuel power generation anytime soon, if ever. Yes, there have been a few well-publicized nuke disasters, but not every nuke plant is Chernobyl. Nuclear's problem is political, not technical.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,684  
Already has to a point. Despite what the Pollyannas say, solar and other "renewable" power sources aren't going to replace fossil fuel power generation anytime soon, if ever. Yes, there have been a few well-publicized nuke disasters, but not every nuke plant is Chernobyl. Nuclear's problem is political, not technical.
Actually I believe that it's a little of both. If not for the former though, we could have spent more time and effort trying to improve the latter. We can accomplish a lot when the politicians step aside and allow the scientists to do what they studied and trained for.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,685  
Please excuse the possible stupid question, but can this "connectedness" be disabled without bricking the vehicle? I know all this tech-y stuff seems to be a selling point, but I can't be the only one with no need/desire for this "feature".
Model A Ford.... I keep threatening.....

:cool:

Yes, my dislike for over-complication (doors that won't open w/o vehicle power.....) extends well beyond Tesla....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,686  
The article also says Tesla provides a key with the car that would have made the car functional even with the app out but most owners leave the key at home and rely on the app....

Two is one and one is none, as they say. So it's part Tesla's fault, part the owners.
Technology can be tuned to suit.....

People..... well, I'll defer to F. Gump......

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,687  
If I ever get an EV, I think a necessary accessory will be a PTO generator. 10 kw will handle 40 amps at 240 volts, enough to charge an EV battery, and that's only 14 PTO hp. Most small tractors would handle a 20 kw PTO generator, depending on the transmission. That's PTO horsepower, not engine horsepower, so all the pumps for hydraulics, steering, and HST suck HP before it ever gets to the shaft.

I understand EVs can be picky about generator power. Most of it seems to be caused by grounding and bonding.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,688  
If I ever get an EV, I think a necessary accessory will be a PTO generator. 10 kw will handle 40 amps at 240 volts, enough to charge an EV battery, and that's only 14 PTO hp. Most small tractors would handle a 20 kw PTO generator, depending on the transmission. That's PTO horsepower, not engine horsepower, so all the pumps for hydraulics, steering, and HST suck HP before it ever gets to the shaft.

I understand EVs can be picky about generator power. Most of it seems to be caused by grounding and bonding.
Did you click the link? It was an app outage not a power outage but if the owners had not of left their key at home it wouldn't of mattered.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,689  
Did you click the link? It was an app outage not a power outage but if the owners had not of left their key at home it wouldn't of mattered.
I had something similar happen once. I lost the key to my '81 F100 and had to rip the steering column apart, break the steering lock and hotwire it so that I could get home.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,690  
Please excuse the possible stupid question, but can this "connectedness" be disabled without bricking the vehicle? I know all this tech-y stuff seems to be a selling point, but I can't be the only one with no need/desire for this "feature".
I'd express my feelings a bit differently. I have a desire to NOT HAVE the features. I'm gathering parts to build/restore a new pickup for myself because I can't buy a new one without all that junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.