Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,221  
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. While I look forward to EV's becoming better and better and hopefully more affordable, I don't want a car or truck with a touch screen. I think I'm going to be stuck with restoring an old ice vehicle.
No kidding I hate those
And the cars that pretty much *only* have the touchscreen are the worst.

My wife's car has a relatively small (by today's standards) screen, but at least I can turn it off at night so that it's not giving my peripheral vision glare; everything except the audio still has buttons.

A car that's gone to screen instead, not only do you have to look at what you're poking instead of just relying on touch while watching for deer, but there's that incessant glare!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,222  
No kidding I hate those
And the cars that pretty much *only* have the touchscreen are the worst.

My wife's car has a relatively small (by today's standards) screen, but at least I can turn it off at night so that it's not giving my peripheral vision glare; everything except the audio still has buttons.

A car that's gone to screen instead, not only do you have to look at what you're poking instead of just relying on touch while watching for deer, but there's that incessant glare!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TractorByNet mobile app
It's not hard to argue that instrumentation has devolved, and created collateral issues.

I find it strange, given all the safety mandates, how screens have taken over. Early screen-daze, I think it was BMWs idrive that was the standing joke..... by the time you've navigated all the sub-sub-sub-sub.... menus, you've probably plowed into something.

Manufacturers like it.... they hang one (relatively cheap) display onto the data-bus, Done. That ^, I get, from a hardware standpoint, but Me No Like either.....

I see a general problem with vehicle screens, pretty much every week here. Vehicle starts, screen lights up, driver drives off... with zero external lighting up on the vehicle (we have DRL here, so there may be some fwd lighting, enough to drive in the dark with, On, but nothing else external). Go Team Tech......

Less common, but I'll never forget being in a Ford dealer, hearing a "not impressed" customer around my age. On his not-that-old Ford, it seemed like something failed in the Ambient Light sensor circuit, so the dash-screen defaulted to Full Bright..... he just about put his vehicle into a ditch, doing a 3 pt turn on a rural road at night.

^ Not just an issue for us oldsters. I'm lucky that my night vision is still pretty good, but I've known people who have lousy night vision at a young age. Regardless, having a big TV screen blasting full-bright at night in the dash, would seriously piss me off.....

How does that song go..... didn't Elvis use a 45 to Change the Channel on the TV :cool:.

If I want to see Instrumentation High Art, I'll go back to one of Leno's vids, for one of his 30's luxury vehicles. Closer to my budget.... good 80's-90's analog gauges, with a Petty Skew, is more my ideal setup.

Waving the Money Magic Wand, that's ^ where I'd be.

Really not looking forward to the day that I'm stuck with a boob-tube in the dash of mine..... whether it's ICE, EV, H2.......

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#6,223  
Last edited:
#6,224  
I can’t wait for the torque of electric trucks. I believe torque is the power behind accomplishing work more than just about anyone.
However, I want it to emerge organically, not forced on us. I want free markets to lay their goods out and let us chose who/what is better. I don’t want favoritism given to one over the other. Taxpayer funded charging stations infrastructure isn’t fair to fuel stops.
Now you and Elon Musk are talking the same talk.

#6,225  
But we can all see the writing on the wall. It’s coming.
Are you talking about our coming deaths? 2050 is still 29 years away. Technology to let us get away from the use of lithium ion batteries I expect will have to happen first and that might be decades down the road. The world is highly EV restrained due to the lack of batteries. Now if we jump over to hydrogen fuel cells that may be a different story.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,226  
Now you and Elon Musk are talking the same talk.
I think some people in this thread has devolved it into 2 sides
ICEV vs EV
Myself, and many others who “appear” to be on the ICEV side are for the most part accepting and looking forward to EVs! And gassing up on sunshine :)
We are not “living in the past”
It’s the mandating, forcing, or making IVEV unaffordable that we are uncomfortable with.
Just like the old saying goes, “line em up and may the best man (car) win”
Or something like that

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,227  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,228  
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. While I look forward to EV's becoming better and better and hopefully more affordable, I don't want a car or truck with a touch screen. I think I'm going to be stuck with restoring an old ice vehicle.
I was hesistant about the EV truck when I realized how other companies are sticking everything on a screen. I was relieved when I saw the truck I was interested in had a normal layout for the basics. Cruise, lights, signals, and wipers on levers behind the wheel.
1E2B9FBD-04D7-4BD2-928E-2F4BD28A4D4E.jpeg4BA6E44A-2856-4512-BE6A-F19B59F83B94.jpeg

#6,229  
I believe most people jump into things without reasoning it all out.
I did some research and if I went solar (and I have thousands of sq.ft. South facing roof lines counting house, 2 story garage, horse stable) the payback is 20 years. Payback of course is system cost factoring in usage.
What they DON'T factor in I'll get to in a minute...
How much does the Ford Lightning cost? About $50K. Add that to my solar system cost (less credits of course) now we're at about $70K, depending on charger, batteries, etc.
Now pick a random mutual fund (I'll use Fidelity Puritan, started after WWII)...life of fund average 11.07%/yr., reinvesting cap gains & dividends.
So for fun instead of 11.07% let's use 9%.
$70,000 at 9%= $6,300 a year or $525 a month.
Who can guess what my TOTAL electric AND gas+diesel bill is a month. Hint: it's less than $525 a month.
NOW! That truck...will it depreciate? Will it ever need new batteries? That solar system (especially if it has back-up batteries), will it ever need repairs?
To imagine going electric...now we have clean pollution free air! That because everyone going solar we won't need an electric grid or power production. Certainly no pollution from manufacturing vehicles or batteries.
Growing up our neighbor, 2,500 acres had no car just oxen and some Belgian drafts.
Choices! I don't need or want my Uncle sucker telling me what to drive, if I can have a diesel tractor/truck, motorcycle, chainsaw, mower. If I want electric I'll buy one.
I can't wait to see a Dewalt 72" bar saw .
Horses are costing me more than I prefer. Do you have a spreadsheet that justified a horse barn cost-wise. If you do would you please share that cuz I am starting to think horses are financially a losing proposition but they do make a lot of fertilizer but the inputs are very expensive.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,230  
I was hesistant about the EV truck when I realized how other companies are sticking everything on a screen. I was relieved when I saw the truck I was interested in had a normal layout for the basics. Cruise, lights, signals, and wipers on levers behind the wheel.
View attachment 724710View attachment 724711
But no sign of the HVAC…..

Status
Not open for further replies.